News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.

www.tormek.com

Main Menu

Simple adjustment of the grinding angle

Started by Dutchman, April 14, 2014, 07:45:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ken S

Lausts,

Welcome to the forum. I am pleased to see Dutchman is finally receiving the recognition he deserves for his ground breaking work. I am especially pleased when mathematicians endorse it.

Thanks for reviving a valuable post. I trust you are enjoying your new Tormek. I also hope your mathematician's mental wheels are turning. Dutchman's concepts are not limited to knives. We have much fertile ground waiting to be explored.

Keep posting!

Ken

Fredd

Quote from: Dutchman on April 14, 2014, 07:45:09 PM
I have developed a method for simple adjustment of the grinding angle with the knife jigs SVM-45 and SVM-140.
Coarse adjustment is done by setting the distance of the universal support to the stone in steps of 5mm.
The fine adjustment is done with the adjustable stop of the knife jig.
The required adjustments for a certain grinding angle are listed in tables.
Tables are made for stone diameters from 240-180mm, in steps of 10mm

The method is documented in PDF-files which can be downloaded from Dropbox:
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/zfzeuyyhors8oid/Yyq5S71LxR

"Grinding angle adjustment Booklet.pdf" should be printed two-sided on A4 paper.
You can then staple and fold it as an A5-booklet. It should also fit on 'US legal' size.

"Grinding angle adjustment A5 serial.pdf" , is the A5 serial version, for storing in iBooks on iPad.

I have updated the file "Grinding angle adjustment Booklet.pdf"
because the text was not aligned correctly with respect to the papersize.

I can view all the pages in the drop box link except for the chart itself.  I am getting error 404. 

Thank you in advance.

wootz

Ton gave us a clean high-resolution version of his booklet, you can get it from our website:
Ton Nillesen trigonometry for Tormek grinder

cbwx34

Quote from: Fredd on May 30, 2018, 12:51:55 PM
I can view all the pages in the drop box link except for the chart itself.  I am getting error 404. 

Thank you in advance.

In case Dutchman (Ton) checks... I'm not getting any error... it all shows up OK.

(Also, the chart is also in the booklet).
Knife Sharpening Angle Calculator:
Calcapp Calculator-works on any platform. New url!
(or Click HERE to see other calculators available)

Ken S

Dutchman's work is fundamental to our knife setting procedures. By all means, do whatever you have to to download/print it. It will serve you well!

Ken

Grizz

this will also work well for the paper wheels. I've tried several different wheel sizes in the chart and it seems to be rite on.

Fredd

Quote from: wootz on May 30, 2018, 12:59:38 PM
Ton gave us a clean high-resolution version of his booklet, you can get it from our website:
Ton Nillesen trigonometry for Tormek grinder

Thank you.

Fredd

Quote from: Ken S on May 30, 2018, 04:17:34 PM
Dutchman's work is fundamental to our knife setting procedures. By all means, do whatever you have to to download/print it. It will serve you well!

Ken
Agreed.  Much appreciate all you are doing here.  Very helpful.

Dutchman

At the request of "cbwx34" I developed mathematics for use with its robust "jig-fix" as published on https://forum.tormek.com/index.php?topic=3570.msg22912#msg22912
The new formulas can also be used to choose a different reference point for the distances than the center of the jig's stem, which is unclear and inconvenient.
As a result, the setting of the sharpening angle can be determined more accurately.
Some measurements were also made from which possible sources of error appeared.
More info can be found in the additive (dated 20180702) in my initial post on this topic:
Simple adjustment of the grinding angle

cbwx34

Quote from: Dutchman on July 02, 2018, 04:39:51 PM
At the request of "cbwx34" I developed mathematics for use with its robust "jig-fix" as published on https://forum.tormek.com/index.php?topic=3570.msg22912#msg22912
The new formulas can also be used to choose a different reference point for the distances than the center of the jig's stem, which is unclear and inconvenient.
As a result, the setting of the sharpening angle can be determined more accurately.
Some measurements were also made from which possible sources of error appeared.
More info can be found in the additive (dated 20180702) in my initial post on this topic:
https://forum.tormek.com/index.php?topic=1849

This post translated....

I wrote a book, so cbwx34 would quit bugging me. ;)

Dutchman was a big help in me figuring this out... and yeah, I did bug him quite a bit.  Huge thanks for his effort (and patience)!!!
Knife Sharpening Angle Calculator:
Calcapp Calculator-works on any platform. New url!
(or Click HERE to see other calculators available)

BennyJ

Hi Ton!

This post i wonderful! I have actually tried to make a spreadsheet myself, but that didn't work out. But i am sure that following your math, it is going to work!

Thanks for sharing!

- Benny

Dutchman

Quote from: BennyJ on January 17, 2020, 11:37:51 AM
This post i wonderful! I have actually tried to make a spreadsheet myself, but that didn't work out. But i am sure that following your math, it is going to work!
Hi Benny,
In the published folder "Tormek-T7 grinder" you'll find also the spreadsheet "USB adjustment table.ods".
It is made with the Free and Open Source office packages "OpenOffice" and its successor "LibreOffice", but will probably also run with other office packages. You'll probably need to change the extension "ods"

Dutchman

Deleted. I accidentally pressed "Quote" instead of "Modify" ;)

RickKrung

Quote from: Dutchman on January 18, 2020, 11:14:15 AM

...snip...  It is made with the Free and Open Source office packages "OpenOffice" and its successor "LibreOffice", but will probably also run with other office packages. You'll probably need to change the extension "ods"

Wouldn't it be necessary to open the ".ods" file in whatever spreadsheet program you have and then "Save As", thereby using that program to save the file in its format and apply its file extension?  Simply changing the file extension could result in a different program having difficulty opening a file that is not actually in that programs file format. 

Rick
Quality is like buying oats.  If you want nice, clean, fresh oats, you must pay a fair price. However, if you can be satisfied with oats that have already been through the horse, that comes at a lower price.

BennyJ

Hi again Ton.

I have now tried to make a spreadsheet again. But I can't seem to get it to work.
I want it to calculate the height of the USB, vertically from the top of my Tormek T8. The same way as Knifegrinders App is working. The reason why i just don't buy the app is because i would like to be able to get the measurements for both the vertical USB stand and the horisontal at the same time, and over time also the FVB. So i don't need to use the program more than once, if I want to use both (all tree) USB stands.

I can't seem to get the math right though. If I input 12 degrees per side, and set the USB to the calculated height on my Tormek, i measure approximately 18 degrees per side with the Tormet angle tool (WM-200).

I have used http://cossincalc.com/ to help me get the calculations correct.

Do you by any chance have the time to look over my spreadsheet?
It is made in MS Excel, and saved as both .ods and .xlxs.

Onedrive link to my spreadsheet: https://1drv.ms/u/s!AvIzveHgBujUgoBVJhQfpIqGpQFXFQ?e=wncg5h

Thanks in advance!  :D

- Benny