News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

Extra long knives

Started by reget, April 09, 2014, 03:06:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

reget

I don't own a Tormek (yet) but I have a question and didn't find the answer on this forum (or mybe I just didn't look hard enough).

So the question is how can I sharpen extra long knives like gyros and kebab knives? These knives are about 500-600mm long and have a very thin blade. I should probably use the SVM-140 but the Universal support is just not long enough so I can't sharpen the whole knife at once. Furthermore this jig wouldn't be able to hold the knife as it's too small compared to the knife and the knife blade is too thin. Any ideas?

Herman Trivilino

Hi Reget.  Welcome to the forum.  Your description of the situation is exactly correct.

Here's one solution to that problem.

http://forum.tormek.com/index.php?topic=1592.msg6634#msg6634

Since then I've made version of this jig out of plastic and aluminum.  I also recommend adhesive-backed felt for the top of the platform so blades don't get scratched.
Origin: Big Bang

Jeff Farris

Herman's tool rest is one solution. Another is to simply do it freehand.
Jeff Farris