News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

problem sharpening chisels

Started by maxonsystems, January 02, 2004, 01:23:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

maxonsystems

I convinced a friend of mine to purchase a tormek after my purchase of one.  Went to go teach him how to use it today and had a problem getting square edges.  I put his relatively new Sorby chisel in the guide, set it for 25 degrees, chisel was up against the stops and the stone has been trued.  Problem started when I when I started to notice that the sharpened edge was now angled a few degrees and not the nice crisp 90 degrees that I am used to.  Pulled out my Starrett square to check the jig and it look square.  Could the jig be defective or what?  I managed to fix the edge after about 30 minutes of eye balling it.  Didn't have the jig from my machine handy to compare.  Any thoughts on this one?

-Eric

Jeff Farris

Most likely, it is a problem of the pressure applied to the two clamps.  In addition to aligning the edge of the tool to the pins on the right, it is also necessary to insure that the top and bottom of the clamp are parallel with each other.  Even small amounts of extra pressure on one clamp or the other will cause skewed edges.

One way to monitor and correct this is to check the grind shortly after starting the sharpening process.  If it is skewed, tighten the clamp on the long side and back off the clamp on the short side.  Very fine adjustments (1/8 to 1/4 turn) will have a big impact.
Jeff Farris

grizzz66

hey eric i am having the same problem ! my pal wasn't  to pleased with me, as it was a brand new set of chisels but i told him i would straighten em out as soon as i find out whats up with this . if you hear anything b-4 me  email me will ya ....  thanks grizzly
what are you building today ?

Jeff Farris

Quote from: grizzz66 on January 02, 2004, 03:59:44 AM
hey eric i am having the same problem ! my pal wasn't  to pleased with me, as it was a brand new set of chisels but i told him i would straighten em out as soon as i find out whats up with this . if you hear anything b-4 me  email me will ya ....  thanks grizzly

Grizz, you must have been typing this while I was typing mine.  If you're on e-mail notification, the answer is right above your post in the forum.
Jeff Farris