News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

SJ-250 Waterstone out of true

Started by somecallmetim, December 24, 2013, 12:37:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

somecallmetim

I'm a burgeoning professional knife sharpener, and have been finishing all of my knives with the SJ-250 Japanese Waterstone. My stone came to me out of true.  Can/should I use the TT-50 truing tool included with my T-7 to true my SJ-250 Japanese Waterstone? Should I try to send it back for a replacement? My intuition is telling my the truing tool would be too course for the Japanese Waterstone.  Just to be clear, I am talking about the SJ-250 Japanese Waterstone (4,000 grit), NOT the SG-250 Original Grindstone that is included with the T-7 kit.

Herman Trivilino

I've never used the SJ, but I just read that you're supposed to use only the fine side of the stone grader on it, never the coarse side.

You can call the vendor who sold you the SJ and see what they say about replacing it.

What I'm thinking is that throughout its life time it's going to need to be trued repeatedly. The truing tool is the only tool they make for performing that job, so I would think using the truing tool on the SJ is the right thing to do. 

Maybe Santa Claus is reading this and will send me one so I can try it out.   ;)
Origin: Big Bang

somecallmetim

QuoteI've never used the SJ, but I just read that you're supposed to use only the fine side of the stone grader on it, never the coarse side.

I only use the fine side of the stone grader, but I'm wondering if the TT-50 is meant for this stone.  I don't want to use the truing tool if it's going to mess up my $300 stone/ void my warranty.

And by the way, even though it's out of true, this stone is awesome! Buy it! Once it's trued its going to be amazing.

Jeff Farris

The truing tool is appropriate for the SJ-250. Go slow and use the grader when you're done.
Jeff Farris