News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

Life Expectancy of my Grindstone SG-250

Started by staysharp, December 06, 2013, 06:43:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ken SOS

Free grindstones? I have got to reread my documentation. I just been buying them.

Herman, I do freehand when I can't get a jig to fit.

Received my SB-250 Blackstone Silicon stone today. Looking forward to testing it out tomorrow.

-Ken W

Jeff Farris

Ken,

That was a one time promotion in 2007 at the introduction of the T-7.
Jeff Farris

Ken SOS

Dang! Had me all excited. But the sb-250 does seem to be doing a great job. I have high hopes it w ill last longer.
-Ken

Smitth8273

I use a Tormek for my business sharpening knives and garden tools. A SG-250 stone lasts me about three months -- give or take.

I have two Tormeks, and when my largest stone's diameter is so small that the knife hits the honing wheel, then I put a new wheel on. I then use the small wheel on the second machine for short knives, garden tools, and free hand grinding.

I use the small one until the diameter is so small that it will not reach the water trough.

Rinse and repeat.

Ken SOS

Since you have 2 why not just take the honing wheel off of the one you use for long knives? I generally do this and strop freehand making sure I get the burr off. -Ken

Smitth8273

You strop freehand on what?

I do take the honing wheel off -- but I use the honing wheel to hone, so honing wheel off, honing wheel on is too slow and tedious.

Herman Trivilino

I think Ken is talking about using the leather honing wheel without a jig.

Since you have two machines going, it makes sense to leave the leather honing wheel on one of them, and it makes sense that that would be the one with the larger diameter grindstone.

Have you considered outfitting one of your machines with the Japanese Waterstone (SJ-250)? 
Origin: Big Bang

Smitth8273

Yes -- I have thought about the Japanese Waterstone, just never did it yet.

Would I like it?

After this I will go read about it. Again.

Herman Trivilino

It's a difficult decision.  We've discussed the SJ-250 here before, and I can't remember if anyone around here uses one.

But the consensus seems to be that having a second Tormek would be an ideal situation for use of the SJ-250.  It'll give you that smooth and professional looking mirror finish, smoother I think than can be achieved with the honing wheel, and will eliminate the extra step of using the honing wheel.

If you sharpen knives for sushi chefs or the like, I would think this would produce an impressive finish and bring them back more often for repeat business.

I've often thought of starting a sharpening service, but I just don't see how I could make a go of it.  I look at the prices charged by a sharpening service affiliated with my local hardware store and wonder how I could make enough money to make it worth it. 
Origin: Big Bang

Ken SOS

Close. 
What I'm trying to describe is

Tormek 1. setup with just SG-250 grindstone. (this will be able to sharpen any size blades.) Use Tormek 2 for honing.
Tormek 2. setup with SJ or SB-250 grindstone and honing wheel. (will be able to hone any size blades and sharpen small blades)
Couple of different possible setups here so it would just depend what you sharpen the most.

I like use a leather strop with compound for my finish instead of the honing wheel. I find its just easier for me to control.