News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.

www.tormek.com

Main Menu

Used Tormek reconditioning

Started by Steven L, August 28, 2005, 12:21:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Steven L

I just received a used Tormek Supergrind 2000. This must be an older unit because it does not have the wheel diameter scale on the label or the horizontal base.
I would like to add the horizontal base and went to the replacement parts section of the website. How difficult is it to add the horizontal base and how do I locate it position on the unit accurately?

The wheel is 9" in diameter. I assume that is still useable. What is the minimum diameter of the stone?

Thanks,
Steve

Jeff Farris

Locating the XB-100 is simple and the instructions come with the attachment. The stone is usable down to around 7 inches.
Jeff Farris

Steven L

Can I buy the XB-100 as a kit or do I have to buy each piece individually?
Thanks again,
Steve

Jeff Farris

The XB-100 is just the receiver and mounting hardware.  It uses the same Universal Tool Support that you use in the vertical mount.
Jeff Farris

Steven L

Thanks,
I just ordered it. Here is a picture of my unit. Just got it at a very good price - free!! ;D

Steve

Jeff Farris

You've got your work cut out for you.  Hope it is worth it when you get it fixed up. That machine has been very poorly maintained.
Jeff Farris

Steven L

I know where to go to get the replacement parts ;D!
I will know more about it as soon as I receive it. It is currently in the mail. I am hoping that the stone is not damaged. I plan on giving it a good once over (ie: greasing the bearings with wheel bearing grease, trueing the stone and giving it a good cleaning!!). Any maintenance tips would be greatly appreciated!!

Thanks Jeff!

Steve

Steven L

Well, the refurbished Tormek is almost done. I had to completely strip the Tormek's housing so that I could neutralize the rust. I ended up completely removing all of the paint. I removed as much of the scale rust as I could and neutralized the remainder of the rust with Loctite Extend Rust Neutralizer. This converts the rust (red iron oxide) to the non-rust form (black iron oxide) and completely seals the surface of the metal. I then applied three coats of rustoleum bare metal primer followed by several coats of rustoleum green paint - a very close match to Tormek's green. I don't think I will ever have a rust problem again!! :)
I had to also seal three cracks in the water tray with epoxy. I re-greased the nylon bearings with wheel bearing grease but they are too far gone so I have ordered two new ones. The main shaft also has a wobble in it so I ordered a new one. I will post a picture of the restored Tormek as soon as I am done!
Steve

Steven L

Here is the newly restored Tormek photo!! Note the horizontal support has not been attached yet.
New

Old

Steve

Ed

Very nice Steve,

The sign of a great tool or machine is that it can be rebuilt to near new condition.

I have a honda lawn mower (which has not been used in 5 years)  One year my wife ran it dry on oil and it seized.
Everyone I called said that they do not rebuild mower engines.
But when I said it was a Honda,  I found that almost everyone was willing to rebuild that engine.

I also got my Tormek used.  I bought the parts that Jeff recomended and the unit works as good as new.  In my opinion, which is highly valued (especially by me)

Good or Great machines or tools have parts available and is worth buying a used one as you can fix it up to like new.

Jeff,  do not argue with this, it is a compliment

Ed

Clem Wixted

In reply 4 and 8 there is a reference to pictures. I don't see how to display the pictures, or have they been edited out?

Clem

Jeff Farris

Clem, the images were hosted on the posters home page, rather than attached. He must have changed ISP's.
Jeff Farris

Clem Wixted

Steven L

Here is the after photo! I'll post the before when I locate it! It is an attachment!

Steven L

Let's try it again. This is the after photo.