News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

easy lock is stuck

Started by oakern, December 01, 2013, 07:24:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

oakern

Just unpacked the t-7 and was putting it together but now the easy lock wheel is stuck and I can't get it off. Help please.

Ken S

Welcome.  The easy lock nut has a left hand thread.  Does that do it for you?

Keep us posted.

Ken

oakern

Quote from: Ken S on December 01, 2013, 07:41:39 PM
Welcome.  The easy lock nut has a left hand thread.  Does that do it for you?

Keep us posted.

Ken

No the easy lock is still stuck it's on to tight.

Jeff Farris

Don't try to turn the nut. Turn the wheel. Hold the honing wheel and push the grindstone opposite the normal direction of rotation. The nut will pop right loose.
Jeff Farris

oakern

I did that and it worked thank you.

courierdog

I recently converted my 2000 machine to the Stainless Steel Shaft and EZ Lock
My first impression was how on earth will this ever hold the rotating wheel from slipping during normal use.
The next day I had occasion to change the Wheel for a different wheel,
I followed the instructions and in no way could I loosen the EZ Lock nut by hand.
I ended up using Channel Lock Pliers to grasp the EZ Lock Nut and rotate the wheel as indicted in the instructions.
I want to meet the original Gorilla who indicates it is only hand tight.
Even with the lightest of touches during installation, the result is the same.
I was shocked at how tight the EZ Lock Nut holds the wheel even after one minute of rotation.
While not as difficult to release as the Original Nut Assembly I was not expecting anything more than finger tight resistance.
I would like to suggest a nut similar to what is used on the Honing Wheel would be more appropriate.
I now have all three Wheels and would like and easier means of releasing the wheel.
Retired Engineer

Herman Trivilino

Something's amiss here.  All you have to do is follow Jeff's instructions:

QuoteDon't try to turn the nut. Turn the wheel. Hold the honing wheel and push the grindstone opposite the normal direction of rotation. The nut will pop right loose.

Make sure your honing wheel nut is tight.  When you hold the honing wheel you are supposed to be preventing the main shaft from turning.  When you do this the grindstone immediately becomes loose!
Origin: Big Bang

Jeff Farris

Quote from: courierdog on January 06, 2014, 01:33:46 AM
I recently converted my 2000 machine to the Stainless Steel Shaft and EZ Lock
My first impression was how on earth will this ever hold the rotating wheel from slipping during normal use.
The next day I had occasion to change the Wheel for a different wheel,
I followed the instructions and in no way could I loosen the EZ Lock nut by hand.
I ended up using Channel Lock Pliers to grasp the EZ Lock Nut and rotate the wheel as indicted in the instructions.
I want to meet the original Gorilla who indicates it is only hand tight.
Even with the lightest of touches during installation, the result is the same.
I was shocked at how tight the EZ Lock Nut holds the wheel even after one minute of rotation.
While not as difficult to release as the Original Nut Assembly I was not expecting anything more than finger tight resistance.
I would like to suggest a nut similar to what is used on the Honing Wheel would be more appropriate.
I now have all three Wheels and would like and easier means of releasing the wheel.

If you used ChannelLocks, you didn't follow the instructions.  ;D

Biggest thing to get your mind around is that you don't turn the nut itself at all. You turn the stone. Turn it opposite the direction of rotation and the nut will pop right loose, easy peasy.
Jeff Farris