News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

MultiTool

Started by Jambe, November 01, 2013, 04:07:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jambe

Is anyone here using the MultiTool?

I plan to buy it and wonder if I should opt for the Jet 1725 ($330-3/4HP) or the Jet 3450 ($240) RPM 8" grinder? Would slower actually be better?  There is also the Porter Cable ($120) variable speed (but it is just 5.0 amp).  Just looking for suggestions.

-Doug

grepper

What do you want to do with it?

Jambe

Probably mainly lawnmower blades.

SharpenADullWitt

There is a video on YouTube of someone who mounted one on their variable speed, Craftsman grinder.  Years back, Snap on carried them, and when they stopped, they hit closeout stores like Overstock to Ebay for around $100 (you supply the grinder).  I picked up a couple, but I couldn't find the plane blade attachment, that used to be sold for them.  The other went to a friend, who uses it with the scotchbrite type of belt for cleaning gaskets off of things.
I would use mine for for that, but tend to use their shop when I need that (act as spare hands for each other).  Haven't got together in a while, due to kids/life/etc.

Favorite line, from a post here:
Quote from: Rob on February 24, 2013, 06:11:44 PM
8)

Yeah you know Tormek have reached sharpening nirvana when you get a prosthetic hand as part of the standard package :/)

grepper

If I had a lot of mover blades to sharpen, I'd get a dedicated lawn mower blade sharpener.  The run from $275 - whatever you want to spend, and do a great job.

That being said, I couldn't do without a belt grinder.  Belts give you grit control like nothing else.  Everything from super coarse zirconia, to 60,000 grit.  Tough, thick belts to very soft and flexable. Microfinishing film, to leather and felt. 

I do my mower blades on a belt.  It gives them a mirror finish and a nice, tough, convex bevel.  This is not appreciated by the dandelions in my yard.

jeffs55

I saw a dandelion laughing at me the other day. Can you help me change that expression by naming your belt grinder of choice? thanx
You can use less of more but you cannot make more of less.

grepper

I'm convinced that dandelions actually duck when they see the mower coming.  It's a reasonable man's only way to explain how they can survive a mower deck when they are taller than the grass that gets cut next to them.  I deeply respect dandelions.  They grow anywhere!  From shade to dry cracks in the middle of cement.  Their multiplicative proclivities are astounding. What an amazingly obnoxious plant.

Anyway, I use a Kalamazoo 1SM.  It's a 1" grinder.  It's great for sharpening because it's slow @ 17500 rpms so it does not heat things up as quickly as a faster machine does. It's truly an excellent machine for under $300.00.  But, the one inch belt is not ideal for mower blades. Powered by its Baldor motor, it does a great job and is completely adequate for the task, but a one inch belt is a little small for mower blades, so it takes longer.  If your main purpose is sharpening mower blades, you might want to consider a 2" – 4" grinder, or a dedicated mower blade grinder.  But, like I said, the 1SM does a great job.  It's a lot like mowing your yard with a 48" mower deck rather than a 60" deck.  Works great, just takes a little longer.

I'd love to have this Burr King. It rocks!  Lawn mower blade sharpening starts about two minutes in, but the whole thing is rather cool and worth watching:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BvgvEpAHT3M

Or this!  You can get into a variable speed KMG for <$1500.00.  What an amazing machine.  I've had my finger trembling over the trigger on this a couple of times, but, sadly, sanity prevails:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BYllaxuzMk0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jy_guBBaUTU

I mean...,  It's only money..........,  Right?

Mike Fairleigh

Me too.  The KMG with the options I want will run in the neighborhood of $2,200 though, so it's easier for sanity to take over.  I've walked right up to the edge though.
Mike

"If I had 8 hours to chop down a tree, I'd spend 7 sharpening my axe."  --Abraham Lincoln

grepper

You've got to be careful around that edge.  It is, by all accounts, a slippery slope indeed!

Mike Fairleigh

Indeed.  When trying to stay a step back from that edge, it helps to realize that a tool such as the KMG is intended to be used as a high-speed fabrication tool (without regard for damaging heat treated steels, etc.), and not really a fine sharpening tool, although I believe it could be used that way if the variable speed option is included (either supplied by them or DIY).
Mike

"If I had 8 hours to chop down a tree, I'd spend 7 sharpening my axe."  --Abraham Lincoln

jeffs55

Quote from: grepper on November 02, 2013, 07:01:39 AM
I'm convinced that dandelions actually duck when they see the mower coming.  It's a reasonable man's only way to explain how they can survive a mower deck when they are taller than the grass that gets cut next to them.  I deeply respect dandelions.  They grow anywhere!  From shade to dry cracks in the middle of cement.  Their multiplicative proclivities are astounding. What an amazingly obnoxious plant.

Anyway, I use a Kalamazoo 1SM.  It's a 1" grinder.  It's great for sharpening because it's slow @ 17500 rpms so it does not heat things up as quickly as a faster machine does. It's truly an excellent machine for under $300.00.  But, the one inch belt is not ideal for mower blades. Powered by its Baldor motor, it does a great job and is completely adequate for the task, but a one inch belt is a little small for mower blades, so it takes longer.  If your main purpose is sharpening mower blades, you might want to consider a 2" – 4" grinder, or a dedicated mower blade grinder.  But, like I said, the 1SM does a great job.  It's a lot like mowing your yard with a 48" mower deck rather than a 60" deck.  Works great, just takes a little longer.

I'd love to have this Burr King. It rocks!  Lawn mower blade sharpening starts about two minutes in, but the whole thing is rather cool and worth watching:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BvgvEpAHT3M

Or this!  You can get into a variable speed KMG for <$1500.00.  What an amazing machine.  I've had my finger trembling over the trigger on this a couple of times, but, sadly, sanity prevails:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BYllaxuzMk0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jy_guBBaUTU

I mean...,  It's only money..........,  Right?
I see that your machine is only 1/3 HP, is that a problem? I only anticipate sharpeining knives with this? thanx
You can use less of more but you cannot make more of less.

grepper

It has plenty of power.  I've never been able to bog it down.  I just threw a Scotch Brite belt on it and pressed as hard as I could with the side of a blade.  Not a problem at all.

It's an excellent grinder for sharpening.  Sharpening knives does not even begin to stress it.  It's Baldor motor will probably out last me.  :)

Mike Fairleigh

Oh.  Baldor.  Yeah.  If a Baldor says 1/3HP, it's a true 1/3HP.  We've come to assume motors are incapable of things because there are only a couple of manufacturers left who build motors of such quality that they can be honest (and those motors cost so much that few tool makers use them).  That's why the 1.5HP Delta Unisaws from 60 years ago could do the same work as today's "3HP" saws.

I'd love to have a Baldor bench grinder but it'll never happen.
Mike

grepper

Yup.  I picked up the grinder for $260.00 with free shipping.  It's obvious from the cost of Baldor grinders that the majority of the cost was the motor.

I've learned many times over it's better to pay more up front and have a good tool that you will like than to pay less, hate the cheap thing, and have to replace it when it breaks down.

Jambe

As the OP I guess I should let you know that I have purchased the MultiTool from Wolfgang and he recommended the Jet 3450 rpm grinder. Jet claims it to be 1 HP and also says 8 amps so that is not too far off being accurate. (It was on sale on Amazon through a Jet promotion for $215. Also picked up a wire wheel.)