News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

Bench Height

Started by Jambe, September 17, 2013, 03:53:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jambe

I haven't received my T7 (with rotating base) yet but I need to build a bench to set it on. I'm 5'-10". What would be an ideal height for the bench?

Brad I

Hmm.  have you ever carved a turkey?  I think that would be a good measure.  If you prefer the kitchen counter to the diningroom table for carving a turkey, then I'd go with the height of the kitchen counter.

There is always alot of viewing and smooth movements to be done.  Much like turkey carving. 

But on the other hand, I've used the Tormek on the livingroom floor so there's plenty of room to experiment. 

Herman Trivilino

The new TS-740 has an adjustable height between 750 mm and 830 mm (29½" and 32 2/3").  So ... somewhere in that range is a good place to start. 
Origin: Big Bang

Ken S

Welcome to the forum. The shop drawing for Norm Abram's New Yankee sharpening station (the one he built during the episode which featured Jeff Farris) shows a height of 34 inches.  He also has a slide out foot stool for work requiring a higher position.  I would consider this a good starting point.

For many years I tray developed large sheet film in my photographic darkroom.  Height was critical.  If the trays were too low, I quickly experience back pain.  With that in mind, I would design the stand so that the height could easily be changed.

Let us know what you decide and how it works.

Ken

Dakotapix

Just measured my Tormek bench and it is 29 inches high. I seem to prefer working over the wheel more. I'm just 5-9 so I suppose that's a factor in this. I plan to build a general sharpening bench and that height would be too short for for waterstone use so I may have to change things or else consider a bench with two different levels. Probably not worth doing though.

Herman Trivilino

You can set a sturdy wooden "box" upside down on top of your work bench.  This gives you a second level for working more comfortably on different tasks. 

refugio

Quote from: Ken S on September 20, 2013, 01:13:53 AM
If...too low, I quickly experience back pain.
Yep - after sharpening just one chisel on my new (to me) Tormek, that's exactly what I experienced. I tried moving it close to the edge so that I could keep my back straight, but it didn't help much. What did help - for a while - was sitting on the table and turning sideways. Which got me thinking - does anyone sharpening while seated? I searched on "seated" and got no results, but I think this might be a solution.

Comments?

Herman Trivilino

Elden talks about his experiences sharpening while seated in his wheel chair:

http://forum.tormek.com/index.php?topic=1480.msg4885#msg4885

Search for "seated" and you'll find a few more threads.

refugio

Quote from: Herman Trivilino on September 21, 2013, 04:18:35 AMSearch for "seated" and you'll find a few more threads.
Hah - I had used the Search in the upper left, not the one in the menu - different results!

OK, I can see the difficulty of getting the pressure for serious metal removal when not standing on the switch side pushing down.

Unfortunately, many of the techniques for relieving back pressure when standing (lots of good ideas at this link: http://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb/showthread.php?t=531598) aren't going to work here - e.g. standing with shoulders back. Soft pad to stand on, swaying between left and right feet, the various ab tensioning techniques, and elevating one foot over the other - those might work. I might also investigate a lower back support belt.

But my new thought is, why not put the Tormek on a low stool - perhaps with a swivel - and work it like a potter's wheel?

jeffs55

I think that unless you put the Tormek any higher than the height of your fingertips it is going to be too high. I know that sounds low but the actual working height of the wheel is several inches higher than the base. In other words you cannot set it at such height that you can use it and the bench still be useful for other tasks. I have a bench that is 29-30 inches high and I am 5'8" and the bench is too tall. I stand on a stool to use the Tormek. Welcome to club and be careful with your sharpened knives!
You can use less of more but you cannot make more of less.

refugio

Quote from: jeffs55 on September 21, 2013, 08:08:08 PMI think that unless you put the Tormek any higher than the height of your fingertips it is going to be too high.
I can see that - and I think that setting the Tormek on a short platform - perhaps straight on the ground - while you sit on a stool would be about right. Ideally you could rest your elbows on your legs.

Now that's going to be an inconvenient height for activities from the other side. Rather than getting down on the floor, perhaps then raise the grinder to a low bench height.

I guess what I'm saying is that - rather than build a step to change YOUR height, perhaps move the Tormek between two (or more) platforms.

None of this really matters if you're just doing one blade. But in my limited use of the Tormek, I'm finding that it's handiest to batch things together - doing several chisels, several kitchen knives, and I even squared the ends of a few screwdrivers that had gotten rounded over throughout the years. Changing over the jigs isn't a big effort, but regrading the stone isn't something you want to do 20 times a day (for example).

jeffs55

"I guess what I'm saying is that - rather than build a step to change YOUR height, perhaps move the Tormek between two (or more) platforms."

It is easier to build one stool than two or more platforms.
You can use less of more but you cannot make more of less.

Herman Trivilino

Quote from: refugio on September 24, 2013, 03:27:48 PM
Changing over the jigs isn't a big effort, but regrading the stone isn't something you want to do 20 times a day (for example).

Regrading the stone is something that you need to do often.  There's no way around it.  If you try to keep it in its course state it won't stay that way.  If you try to keep it in its fine state it won't stay that way, either. 

Rhino

My all plastic IKEA kindergarten table is (don't know real name) 19 inches high exactly.  Works fine for me and it never will rust.  I can sit down and watch TV.  It is important that the Tormek not obstruct the TV because sometimes grinding takes a while.

More important than bench height, I have a lot of lighting 490 watts of fluorescent lighting in my "shop" which is a multipurpose office/shop/my own room in the house.

For me, working fast and efficiently to save money are not a goals when I am doing my hobby.

RobinW

My T7 sits at the end of my bench which is 900mm high (35.5") and I'm 5'10" if I stand up really straight!

The working height of the T7 is a little on the high side but I do get a close up view of the action.

I have just made my own rotating base which has added another 30mm and that makes it feel too high for an extended session. I have sometimes sat the T7 on my workmate and you get well over the top, but I prefer the higher level as there is less bending of the back.