News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

T-3 getting loud

Started by Brad I, September 15, 2013, 04:53:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brad I

Hi all,

I've had my T-3 for maybe 5 years. Use it about once a week. Recently, it's starting to sound loud and make a bit of a rattling sound.  Was wondering if I need to oil something or do something to cut back the noise?

Stickan

You could try to grease the shaft bearings but if that does not help, it could be the motor bearings. Then you should go where you bought it and use the warranty.

Brad I

dumb question, but how do I get to the bearings and how would I know when I've found them? :o

Jeff Farris

Remove the grindstone. The main shaft (what the stone is mounted on) goes through two nylon bearings. When the stone is off, the main shaft, honing wheel and drive wheel slide out easily. Lube the bearings with a waterproof lubricant (teflon or silicone). Before reassembling, turn the motor on and listen for noise. It should be very quiet with no load. When reassembling, lift up on the motor as you slide the shaft in so that the motor shaft is resting on the drive wheel.
Jeff Farris

Brad I

Ok, thanks.  I will give it a try.