News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

Newbie here....

Started by David F, August 10, 2013, 04:50:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

David F

Hi

I'm David.

I do abit of wood turning but I need decent grinder to sort my tools out.  (my sharpening by hand is rubbish)

All the reviews seem to point to Torrmek.

I ve been offered a "250"

Where one of those fit into the line up?

thanks   David

Ken S

Welcome, David. 

The Tormek "250" is a bit puzzling.  The grinding wheels on the larger size (Super Grind or T7, T7 being the current model) is 250mm in diameter x 50mm width.  (For those of us still on the old inch system that's 10" diameter by 2" width.

I would highly recommend choosing the larger wheel.  That's the traditional flagship size for Tormek.  If you go new, the T7 includes the stone grader and diamond dressing tool, both of which are essential.  The T7 is heavier (more stable) and has a heavier duty motor.  The new T7 units come with the much improved EZYlock shafts as standard equipment, as is the new larger water trough.

My only experience is with the T7.  Other members can help you with other models. 

You should gather more information about the model being offered to you for us to be of help.

Good luck.

Ken

Herman Trivilino

Quote from: David F on August 10, 2013, 04:50:54 PM

There are only two in the line up.  The original, which is the one used by everyone here, has the 250 mm diameter grindstone.  It's called the T7 and the housing is blue in color, or the older 2000, green in color. 

Second in the line up is the T3 with a 200 mm grindstone.  It's a lighter duty machine.

Let us know what accessories are being included in the offer as it does affect the value.  For example, if the necessary water trough, stone grader, truing tool, and universal support are not included in the offer, you'd have to spend a lot of additional money on these new parts to make the machine fully functional and so it may be better to just buy a new one.  A new one will also include the SE-76 straight edge jig.  If that offer includes all this and some additional jigs, which it should if it's coming from a serious user, it's of course worth more.

Tormek has made a lot of improvements to the accessories over the years and the newer machine really is a much better value than the older machines were.  On the other hand, I'm still getting by with lots of the older accessories and have made my own homemade modifications, so if you can get a used machine at a good price it may be a better value for you.
Origin: Big Bang

David F

Thanks for the replies.

Just finishing a shift, I'll read this in more depth in 48 hours.

David F

Quote from: Ken S on August 10, 2013, 05:48:54 PM
Welcome, David. 

The Tormek "250" is a bit puzzling.  The grinding wheels on the larger size (Super Grind or T7, T7 being the current model) is 250mm in diameter x 50mm width.  (For those of us still on the old inch system that's 10" diameter by 2" width.

I would highly recommend choosing the larger wheel.  That's the traditional flagship size for Tormek.  If you go new, the T7 includes the stone grader and diamond dressing tool, both of which are essential.  The T7 is heavier (more stable) and has a heavier duty motor.  The new T7 units come with the much improved EZYlock shafts as standard equipment, as is the new larger water trough.

My only experience is with the T7.  Other members can help you with other models. 

You should gather more information about the model being offered to you for us to be of help.

Good luck.

Ken

Unfortunately going new is out of the question (until Mr Cameron gives british national factory workers a some what improved deal.)

Certainly splurging £1000 on this isn't possible.

My only chance here is to hit on a deal on the second hand market.

There was a superb chance on ebay a week ago but my bid failed to register and the chance was lost.

I'd love a T7 with the metal body and heavy duty motor but I think it's unlikely to happen.

Is a T3 going to be ANY improvement on hand sharpening? 

David F

Quote from: Herman Trivilino on August 11, 2013, 04:48:09 AM
Quote from: David F on August 10, 2013, 04:50:54 PM

There are only two in the line up.  The original, which is the one used by everyone here, has the 250 mm diameter grindstone.  It's called the T7 and the housing is blue in color, or the older 2000, green in color. 

Second in the line up is the T3 with a 200 mm grindstone.  It's a lighter duty machine.

Let us know what accessories are being included in the offer as it does affect the value.  For example, if the necessary water trough, stone grader, truing tool, and universal support are not included in the offer, you'd have to spend a lot of additional money on these new parts to make the machine fully functional and so it may be better to just buy a new one.  A new one will also include the SE-76 straight edge jig.  If that offer includes all this and some additional jigs, which it should if it's coming from a serious user, it's of course worth more.

Tormek has made a lot of improvements to the accessories over the years and the newer machine really is a much better value than the older machines were.  On the other hand, I'm still getting by with lots of the older accessories and have made my own homemade modifications, so if you can get a used machine at a good price it may be a better value for you.

Hmmmm....

It's difucult to know then.

At the moment I'm spending an hour try to sharpen tools by hand ( unsuccessfully) and get half an hour's use from that.

it's got to the stage I don't want to turn again untiil I ve got some (real)  improvement in my sharpening methods.

Is a second hand T3 with TNT 807 jig going to help......or not much?

thoughts?

David

RobinW

There's a couple of secondhand Tormeks on Gumtree. One is a 1206 - seller claims it is new (so must have been on the shelf for some time), in Essex; and the other is a T3 six months old with various parts, in Ayrshire.

An advantage of Gumtree, if you're not familiar with it, is it is not a bidding situation. Seller states price he wants; you email/phone the seller; agree price etc. I have used it a couple of times. I ask to see the item (as look for local sales) without saying anything about money, go and see, make sure thing runs ok - haggle if you think it's worth the situation, before handing over cash.

Usual caveat, buyer beware.

David F

Quote from: RobinW on August 17, 2013, 10:02:46 PM
There's a couple of secondhand Tormeks on Gumtree. One is a 1206 - seller claims it is new (so must have been on the shelf for some time), in Essex; and the other is a T3 six months old with various parts, in Ayrshire.

An advantage of Gumtree, if you're not familiar with it, is it is not a bidding situation. Seller states price he wants; you email/phone the seller; agree price etc. I have used it a couple of times. I ask to see the item (as look for local sales) without saying anything about money, go and see, make sure thing runs ok - haggle if you think it's worth the situation, before handing over cash.

Usual caveat, buyer beware.

Thanks.

I'll have a look.

Herman Trivilino

I don't believe there are any posters here with experience with the T3, except of course for our moderator, Jeff.

I would say the T3 is likely to be a huge improvement over hand sharpening.  Just makes sure it comes with the stone grader and all the other accessories that are supposed to come with.

David F

Quote from: Herman Trivilino on August 18, 2013, 12:28:18 AM
I don't believe there are any posters here with experience with the T3, except of course for our moderator, Jeff.

I would say the T3 is likely to be a huge improvement over hand sharpening.  Just makes sure it comes with the stone grader and all the other accessories that are supposed to come with.

Thanks for your input.

I'm grateful.

I missed out on a good deal the other day when the prog didn't work for me (no good).

I think I need to bid my time for the moment before, as you say, I land myself with needing extra bits unnecessarily.

Brad I

I've used a T-3 for about 5 years.  Restored a number of old antique knives for customers, razor sharpened every wood chisel. knife or turning tool I can find.  So now I'm making knives!

I don't have alot of time on the T-7 but I think the stones and honing wheels will sharpen a bit faster since they are bigger.  The stones will last longer too since there is more stone.  I've thought about upgrading to the T-7 but I also move my T3 around alot.  I'll sharpen in the kitchen, garage, livingroom, bedroom... wherever.   I don't think the T-7 is quite as portable.  ;D

In these years I've gone through 1 stone. 

I think the only difference in sharpening quality would be like comparing sharpening a kitchen knife on a 1 x 3 inch pocket stone vs. sharpening it on a 3x6.  You would get faster results with the larger stone.  Not necessarily better.   

Herman Trivilino

Not a lot of folks here with T3 experience.  Glad you're here. Welcome.

albion

Quote from: Herman Trivilino on September 18, 2013, 05:22:33 AM
Not a lot of folks here with T3 experience.  Glad you're here. Welcome.
I've just joined the forum, so hello Everyone!

I'm a Supergrind 1200 (aka T3) user...

I went through the same heartache when I was looking for a sharpening machine... wanted a Tormek but couldn't find one at a price I could justify... looked at all the 'rival' machines and decided they just were not a Tormek... and I very fortunately found this T3 for sale about 25 miles away. I think I paid £130 and it came complete with a planer blade jig, general use jig, short knife jig, angle setter, grading stone and the hardback handbook. It was well used, but had been cared for and used properly. My only advice would be - don't buy anything but a Tormek... and if you are doing anything but the heaviest and regular sharpening a T3 is a superb machine.

My Dad (now on the other side...) was an Electrical Engineer. Although when he did his trade trailing a good deal of general building skills were included, to him a wood chisel was a multi-use tool and could easily double up as a paint-can opener/stirrer, screwdriver, floorboard lever... well, you get the idea. Curiously he wasn't a half-bad woodworker on occasion, but didn't have enough to pass on to his sons. For many years hence I was convinced that woodworking was beyond me...

Then One day I was in my workshop (I'm a leathergoods designer/ maker and harness repairer) and I had a job to do for a client that needed some tough, heavy leather... and my round knife simply wouldn't cut it - literally. Now, years ago I was taught to sharpen leather tools properly. I have a great oil stone and a super home-made strop, but even so you get to the point that you just can't get an edge going. If I were to liken it to music then most days I could get top 10. On good days I could get Rolling Stones or Bob Dylan, but just not quite there. The edge had got thick and I never had time to sort it out. This was enough to spur me (finally) into the search for something better... and ultimately to the Tormek.

Okay, I confess; I was too wary to attack one of my best knives (the one in my profile pic belonged to my great-grandfather - there's a story for another time), so I started off with a very old but good quality wood chisel. To give a fair comparison, I sharpened my best edge using my hand tools... not bad at all. Then I used the method as described in the book (I didn't know any better) to re-sharpen and hone the same chisel...

It didn't cut. It slipped through the same piece of wood effortlessly. I heard the voices of angels...

I now sharpen scissors, knives, chisels and plane blades... anything that needs an edge. And yes, I finally had the courage to sharpen a round knife. I started on an old one to get the action of rotating the blade pretty much freehand (there isn't a jig... yet), then onto the honing wheel, and after two or three careful stages my knives are more than sharp - they're deadly and this actually makes them safer and more accurate to use. And I found that woodwork was such a trial for me because the tools I needed were never sharp.

If you want to know why not to buy a non-Tormek, I'll be happy to elucidate...

This is a long way of saying don't worry about buying a 1200 / T3 if that's all you can find; the step up in sharpness will be astonishing. Then if you find you need a T7 there will be a queue behind you waiting to buy the T3!

albion

There is this one on Ebay:
ebay.co.uk/itm/Tormek-Supergrind-1200-/161109949369?pt=UK_Crafts_Other_Crafts_EH&hash=item2582e6bbb9

It's a slightly older model than mine, but presently £50 and no bids! It's only about 25 miles away from me, so I can colect and courier at cost if anyone wants to dip a toe in the water...

Herman Trivilino

Welcome to the forum, Albion.  That's a great story.  How awesome it must be to have a tool owned by your great-grandfather.