News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

SJ-250

Started by rickbw, August 04, 2013, 12:45:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rickbw

I have a Tormek 2000 which I haven't used for several years.  I would like to start using it to sharpen my hand planes (old and new) and am considering using the SJ-250.  I have both an 8000 and 16000 Shapton stone, for continuing sharpening past 4000.  How difficult is it to switch stones on the 2000?  I would like to continue to use the original stone also.   Thx.

Ken S

With the original shaft, changing wheels is doable.  If you replace the shaft with the new EZYlock shaft, changing wheels is a snap.  I upgraded to the EZYlock with no regrets.

If you plan to routinely use the two finer Shapton stones, I question the practicality of purchasing the SJ-250.

I happen to have an SJ-250 which I have not yet used.  I purchased it during a very good sale at my local Tormek dealer.  My long term plan is to eventually add a second Tormek unit for the SJ and SB wheels.

With only one Tormek I think you would be just as far ahead to become proficient with the leather honing wheel and go on to the Shapton stones if you wish.

Keep us posted.

Ken

rickbw

Thanks.  I'll follow your advice 1st and let you know.