News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.

www.tormek.com

Main Menu

permanent mounting of Torlok toolrest on spare USB

Started by Rob, July 27, 2013, 11:08:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rob

If I wanted to lock in an angle on a spare set of both support bar and torlok for quick jig mounting/removal, how would you fix it?  Would you even need to given it has the clever locking mechanism?  Would screwing it really tight and leaving it be good enough do you think? 
Best.    Rob.

Ken S

Rob, several ideas come to mind.

Several years ago I ordered a spare adjusting nut from some guy in Missouri.  I don't remember the original purpose.  The second nut threaded up against the original nut would certainly secure the usb height adjustment.

A drop of loctite would do the same thing.  It holds a nut, but can be overridden if desired.

A couple wraps of electrical tape on the threads between the bar and the nut would give a quick visual check that the nut had not moved.

Lines on the threads just above and below the adjusting nut would be a simple check.  If you can see both lines, you are correctly adjusted.

Since I already have a spare nut, I would probably go that way.  In the land of dollar coffee, it is not expensive if it is part of another order and you don't get hit with separate shipping costs.

If I didn't already have the nut, I would opt for the marker lines or tape.  This is especially useful in Norway, where an adjusting nut costs as much as a small car. :(

I don't know if you would have to do anything with the torlock,  It is patented as an easily very securely locked device.  Extra locking might be like bringing coal to Newcastle.

A cardboard angle gage would be a quick way to check the angle of the torlock.

I also purchased a spare usb and an older model horizontal usb holder (only one screw) around the same time as adding the spare adjusting nut.  The intended project might have been a less expensive adaptor for my dry grinder.

Ken 

Jeff Farris

You might swap out the knob on the SVD-110 for a set screw. Then it couldn't accidentally be adjusted.
Jeff Farris

mike40

Mike

Rob

Best.    Rob.

Ken S

Rob, if you have access to a better hardware supplier, I would consider  a set screw with a nylon or brass tip.  Less chance of marking the shaft.

Ken