News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.

www.tormek.com

Main Menu

New User

Started by BruceD, January 02, 2004, 12:39:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BruceD

Used my SuperGrind for the first time today.  The magnet in the maintenence kit is a great idea.  Cleaning the magnet can be a problem.  I put the magnet into a small zip lock bag, pen making components are shipped in these small sized bags.  Take magnet out of bag and wipe bag with paper towel and use again.  

Jeff Farris

That's good, Bruce, but before we had the forum, a user e-mailed me with one even better.  Tape the magnet to the underside of your water tray with some heavy duty duct tape.  Now you don't have to clean anything!
Jeff Farris

Bass Player

I'm a new user as well.  Bought my Tormek @ the WW Show in Baltimore yesterday & used it last night.  Even w/ just what I remembered from the show demo I was able to read the instructions & put a good edge on a badly damaged chisel (it looked like one of the chisels used in the demos after Jeff has worked on the edge w/ a hatchet/ hammer.)

The one thing I regret not doing is watching SharpTools' Tormek DVD first.  I followed the instruction book, but the DVD explained a few things clearly that weren't so clear in the book.  I talked w/ Jeff today @ the show & he said other people have told him the same thing.

Jeff Farris

Thanks, Bass Player.

I have had ""Media Experts"" tell me that my DVD is too long, too detailed and lacking emotion.  I tried to be honest, detailed, and information-packed.  I am glad you got something from it.
Jeff Farris

andrewk

I thought the dvd was perfect.  The trouble with Media Experts, is they aren't the end user so they don't think like one.  Even the bit about the "Tidy Cats" container.   That alone is a great idea.

Ed

I taped the magnets I use to the bottom of the water tray, but when I went to put the tray in place the magnet stuck to the bottom metal support and ripped away from the water tray.

I was wondering why the tray did not collect the gunk at the bottom where I thought the magnet was until I saw it on the frame

Dub

I just unpackaged my new 2006 yesterday and sharpened a bunch of palm tools.  Turned out pretty well for the first time.  I'd rather it not have the hollow grind.. despite  how minimal the docs say it is..

But, my question is... where are these magnets you are talking about?  I haven't found any other than the few that are on the back of the angle checker

Jeff Farris

They're part of our Break-In and Maintenance Kit, but any small magnet will do.  Put it in or on your water tray to collect the steel filings to one point.

Jeff Farris

Ed

If you have any old hard drives lying around, try taking one apart and remove the magnets at the opposite end of the arm holding the heads.

These are some of the strongest magnets you can find and if you were just going to throw away the drive then they are free