News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

Honing wheel

Started by calliditas, June 23, 2013, 04:42:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

calliditas

I have just bought a second hand T7. Everything is brilliant except for the honing wheel. This appears to be black plastic or some composite material. As a complete newbie to this my question is ; can this be used with the honing paste or is there a leather sleeve that I can get, or < worst of all , is this US and do I need to buy a replacement
Many thanks for any advice

Mike Fairleigh

Assuming it's a genuine Tormek wheel, it is leather.  When new they are a brown suede, but as soon as they are oiled and honing compound applied, they turn to what appears to be a smooth black plastic.
Mike

"If I had 8 hours to chop down a tree, I'd spend 7 sharpening my axe."  --Abraham Lincoln

jeffs55

Are you looking at the mounting wheel for the leather honing wheel? A brand new honing wheel is not black.
You can use less of more but you cannot make more of less.

Ken S

Peter,

Welcome to the forum.

Display your black honing wheel proudly.  It gives your Tormek and you the look of experience. 

A related question for Jeff Farris:  In your years demonstrating the Tormek on the road, did you ever wear out a honing wheel?

Peter, keep posting.  That's how we all keep learning.  Be sure to read Rob's recent posts (in woodturning) on the BMG.  He is an excellent example of an experienced person continuing to grow.

Ken

Ken

Jeff Farris

Quote from: Ken S on June 24, 2013, 12:03:12 PM
A related question for Jeff Farris:  In your years demonstrating the Tormek on the road, did you ever wear out a honing wheel?

Ken,

No, and I'm not sure it's practically possible. The leather is simply a carrier for the cutting medium (the paste). Short of environmental exposure (leaving it out in a baking sun or a driving rain) I can't imagine "wearing out" the leather wheel.
Jeff Farris

Ken S

Thanks, Jeff.  Your longtime experience is valued.

Ken