News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.

www.tormek.com

Main Menu

Circular cutting blades

Started by A1welderman, September 17, 2014, 12:44:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

A1welderman

Does anyone have or know of a jig for sharpening circular cutting blades like the ones in a pizza cutter, my wife has a cutter for material (fabric) and i would like to sharpen it.

Cheers A1welderman.

grepper

I have sharpened pizza cutters with good enough results.

You might be able to use the small knife jig if you can clamp the thing close to the wheel.  Another idea is to just rest the handle of the cutter on the control bar.

Spin the wheel by hand while it's in contact with the grindstone.  Always keep it moving when it's in contact with the grindstone or you will get flat spots. 

You can probably do with with a little experimentation.

Herman Trivilino

Quote from: A1welderman on September 17, 2014, 12:44:56 PM
Does anyone have or know of a jig for sharpening circular cutting blades like the ones in a pizza cutter, my wife has a cutter for material (fabric) and i would like to sharpen it.

If you can remove the wheel from its handle you could mount it in a drill press, lathe, or even a drill clamped in a vise.  Then while it's turning, touch it with a small stone or other abrasive. Finish with a dab of honing compound on a scrap piece of leather.

I have not tried this, but it seems to me it would work.
Origin: Big Bang

Rob

That's a very creative approach and I'm certain it would work.  If it were in a lathe (screwed through the centre hole onto a backing board held in chuck jaws for example) you would have the advantage of the toolrest which is very manoeuvrable to fix the position of whatever abrasive you chose to use.

Nice one Herman.
Best.    Rob.

SharpenADullWitt

The style pizza cutter I have used, looks more like a machete (friends restaurant), so I don't have a round one to try.  That said the SVD-185 has a jig with it for smaller turning cutters and I am wondering if that could be used with larger wheels like the pizza wheel? (certainly not as large/awkward or dangerous as the slicer blade from another thread)
If not, while spacing would have to be figured out (is the bar long enough to get back far enough) you could use a dowel with a screw in the end, to hold the blade.
Favorite line, from a post here:
Quote from: Rob on February 24, 2013, 06:11:44 PM
8)

Yeah you know Tormek have reached sharpening nirvana when you get a prosthetic hand as part of the standard package :/)

grepper

Or just the reverse of Herman's idea:  If you can remove the wheel and mount it in a hand drill, you could just press the wheel against a stationary abrasive.  You might even be able to press it against the Tormek grindstone.