News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.

www.tormek.com

Main Menu

Priceing for your work

Started by epw314, July 31, 2005, 03:47:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

epw314

Hi,
I am new to this group.I am disabled and I'm trying to make  some extra money. I was wondering what you guys charge for knives,scissors etc.

Thanks,
Ed
Ed Weigman

Anything Sharp
172 Mountain Lake Estates
Hawley,Pa 18428
570 685 9755

Honer

Pricing varies from marketplace to marketplace.
I did a lot of researching sharpening services on the internet and found that I would love to charge prices that are competitive in San Francisco, but can't in the Pacific NW.
And I would go broke charging rural Midwestern prices.
Up here prices start at free at the local supermarket (yikes!)
You get what you pay for.
I charge $5 for a standard 8" - 10" chef's knife and haven't gotten many complaints.  I'm high compared to local knife shops, but I come to their place of business or home so the cost difference is justified.
Plus I specialize in professional chefs who appreciate a sharp blade and usually don't have time to spend matching the quality of the work I do.

You need to find out what your local competition charges.

Hope this helps.

Rick
NotsoDull! Mobile Sharpening Service
"Life shouldn't be dull."

epw314

Ed Weigman

Anything Sharp
Hawley,Pa 18428
570 685 9755

Ed

Hello Ed

I also am disabled.  I thought about setting up a bench in the back of my mini van and go house to house or be like the roach coach and just stop in at restaurants and groceries.

But the high doses of opiates that the drs have me on, my wife will not allow my to do this.  I do live on a very major street and thought of putting a sign on the back of my fence and take drop offs.

I think I do a great job, but wonder if someone else would think so.

So here I sit doing nothing

Ed

epw314

ED,
The doctors told me to sit on my ass and watch TV. I feel if you do this you are giving up!Now that I'm doing this I have more energy, and the old brain is working.Your wife is just going to have to understand that most men have to do something so they feel usefull.I say the hell with it, go for it! I would rather die happy then to live longer and be miserable.
Ed
Ed Weigman

Anything Sharp
Hawley,Pa 18428
570 685 9755

Ed

Ed
Agreed,
But the police will have no sense of humor if they stop me and do a tox-screen and find that I should not be behind the wheel while on these narcotics

Ed

epw314

Well in that case hang a sign on the back fence and go for it! I am going to look for fairs, swap meets, etc.Place an add in the paper. and see what happens. I'm going to be cheap on my prices, so I can get some of my money back plus this should get more of my business cards out.The main reason is it should be a great morale booster! Plus I'm Out of the house, which in it's own can be a good medicine.

Semper Fi

Ed
Ed Weigman

Anything Sharp
Hawley,Pa 18428
570 685 9755