News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.

www.tormek.com

Main Menu

Modification of the DBS-22 By Kurt Johansson of Sweden

Started by Elden, April 10, 2013, 12:04:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Elden

Pictures attached

Following is a modification done by Kurt Johansson of Sweden to the DBS-22 drill bit fixture. It allows brad point drill bits and spade drill bits without spurs to be sharpened with the DBS-22 on the Tormek. He had posted on the Tormek User Group about it. Steve Bottoroff helped to get the pictures posted.

I am posting the following with his permission. Thank you, Kurt!

Elden

The first picture with the text says in Swedish: New fulcrum, which is just a 6mm hole for the bolt.
(Note: Check the size of your fulcrum (pivot bolt). Mine is smaller than Kurt's. Drill an appropriate size hole for your pivot bolt.  Elden)

By using the new fulcrum you can as you can see sharpen brad point or spade bits without spurs.  stevebottorff Mon Jul 25 12:47:25 PDT 2011

Enclosed is a new picture that might help you to find the location for the
new point of fulcrum. First lock the screw at P but not to hard, then remove
the fulcrum bolt, next swing the plate counter clockwise till the position
on the picture. After that lock the screw at P fairly hard and drill a new
hole trough the bottom plate using the existing hole on the top plate as a
starting point. Please note that you have to take in account the underside
of the top plate so that you do not interfere with the slides under the top
plate.

Du har fått 1 bild.

Kurt's email sent with the photos:

Hello Steve

I hope the pictures will come through.

The pictures where made originally for Tormek so they could consider the
possibilities.

The first picture with the text says in Swedish: New fulcrum, which is just a
6mm hole for the bolt.

By using the new fulcrum you can, as you can see, sharpen brad point or spade bits
without spurs.

The last picture shows my early drill sharpening jig. Pictures of this jig where
sent to Torgny Jansson a couple of years ago. <I did not post this photo>

I have been cooperating with Tormek for almost 20 years and have given them
quite a few new ideas during the years. Among others the SVD 180 jig, the
horizontal toolrest and others. I have earlier noticed that people are having
difficulties in sharpening lefthand scissors. I found out that it is possible to
use the knife jig SWM-45 on the horizontal toolrest for that job.

Kurt Johansson

The new photo that Kurt mentioned is pretty much the same as the fourth photo and is now in this post.
Elden
Elden

Elden

Below are the communications that Kurt and I have had. Elden

Hello Elden
I got the new knife jig a couple of months ago for testing and have given a report for Tormek.
I have been cooperating with Tormek, especially the originator of the company Torgny Jansson for nearly twenty years until he sadly passed away.
We worked together on many improvements and jigs of which some are of my origin
Kurt Johansson

Date: Mon, 8 Apr 2013 19:43:03 +0000
To: k*****
Subject: RE: DBS-22 modification

Kurt,

Thank you very much! As I stated, it will be attributed to you fully.
I invite you to check out the Tormek Community if you have not done so. Recently there have been discussions about a knife rest jig that allows one to sharpen small knives as well as large knives such as machetes, all with the same jig. It is similar to the SVD-110 but different. The idea came from one of the members and was advanced by another (Ionut and Herman).

Thank you very much,

Elden

---------- Original Message ----------
To: k*** <j*****>
Subject: RE: DBS-22 modification
Date: Mon, 8 Apr 2013 21:16:09 +0200

Hello Elden.
Thank you for your mail. You are free to use the modification as you like.
I have never tried to keep anything concerning Tormek for myself or tried to make any profit from my cooperation with Tormek.
Greetings
Kurt Johansson

> Date: Mon, 8 Apr 2013 18:48:32 +0000
> From: j*****
> To: k*****
> Subject: Re: DBS-22 modification
>
> Mr. Kurt Johansson,
>
> Greetings. I read about your DBS-22 modification with great interest. Since then, I have drilled a new pivot hole (fulcrum) on my unit. I have not tried it out yet, however.
>
> I am a member of the Tormek Community as well as this group. Jeff Farris is the moderator of the Tormek Community.
>
> I thought your modification was well worthy of being mentioned on the Tormek Community. I did so in a post there, stating that it could be seen on the Tormek User Group, but a membership would be required.
>
> One member posted back that he tried, but was not able to successfully join.
>
> Would you allow me to post your DBS-22 modification on the Tormek Community. All credits will be given to you.
>
> Actually, I would like it better if you would join the Tormek Community and post your DBS-22 modification there! We try to be a friendly group and welcome you to join us!
>
> Thank you,
> Elden Hunter
Elden

Elden

Quote from Kurt Johansson:

I got the new knife jig a couple of months ago for testing and have given a report for Tormek.
Kurt Johansson

I found it interesting that Kurt had received the small knife jig for testing a couple of months ago. As Jeff F. stated earlier, we can be sure that Tormek did not hurriedly put out the SVM-00 small knife jig. It obviously has been in the making for some time.
Elden

Herman Trivilino

I would be very interested in Kurt's reaction to, and comments concerning, the HK-50.
Origin: Big Bang

Elden

I sent him an email asking about offset blades such as the multiple blade pocket knife in the SVS-00 this evening. It would be very interesting to know all his thoughts on the jig.

I am in the process of making another gizmo he mentioned. He made a wooden cup to fit on the knob (friction contact) of the TT-50. It has a spindle like piece fastened to it so that it can be chucked in a cordless drill. The cup is  held in contact with the TT-50 feed advancement knob and is rotated with the drill on low speed. This gives a consistent and even feed rate.

For me that would be great as my left hand does not function well. I have to advance the TT-50 one handed. If it works well for me, I envision making the cup of rubber from an old forklift tire eventually. The cup possibly would be of metal with a rubber insert.
Elden

Herman Trivilino

I still have the older truing tool with no screw feed!

The other thing I liked about Kurt's shop was the condition of his Tormek.  What a contrast to see a real dirty Tormek with the grindstone worn almost all the way out.  Jeff's video always show a shiny clean Tormek.   ;)

Mine is somewhere in between.
Origin: Big Bang

Elden

Herman,

I sent links to Kurt of various threads about the HK-50. I plan to follow up to see if he checked it out in a few days.
Quote from: Herman Trivilino on April 10, 2013, 04:35:41 AM

The other thing I liked about Kurt's shop was the condition of his Tormek.  What a contrast to see a real dirty Tormek with the grindstone worn almost all the way out.  Jeff's video always show a shiny clean Tormek.   ;)

Mine is somewhere in between.

My shop definitely does not look like what shows up behind Jeff in the videos! ::)
Elden

Jeff Farris

Jeff Farris

Elden

Removed due to photo attachment problems. Testing in progress. Testing complete, possibly?!
Elden

Ken S

Thank you, Elden for posting this very interesting topic. I would like to know more about Kurt Johansson and his ideas.

These posts bring up a major forum problem: We have lost many good photographs and their information due to photobucket's recent decision. I do not want to start a heated discussion about photobucket. I do want to restore the lost photographs to the forum.

Elden, and others, if you need help posting using the forum's method, would you please email the photos to one or members who are able to this along with topic links. This way, the photos can be added in a reference post. Even better, figure out how to post them using the forum method yourself. We can all edit our own posts, removing the photobucket stuff and replacing it with photos. Make a quiet cup of coffee and spend some time learning how to do this. It is not that difficult. If I can do it (I did), anyone can do it.

Grandkids are awake; must dash.

Ken

ps The moral of this story is always print out topics which are especially informative!

Ken S

Elden,

Is he the same Kurt Johannson who is the the woodturner festured in one of the Tormek friends videos? I would be interested in knowing more about him?

Incidentally, I printed out this topic for future  reference.
Ken

Elden

Ken,
   I believe so but will have to research farther. Steve B might be able to  able to answer that question. Kurt is (was) a member of the Tormek User Group. That was how I got in contact with him (via email) at that time. I had not been on there until just the other night when trying to recover those pictures. Since then, I found that downloading them from Photo Bucket is easily done if downloaded one at a time.
Elden

Ken S

Elden,

As always, you are the forum's most valuable research person! Thanks.

Good tip about recovering photos one at a time from photobucket. I only had five in my account. I removed them and cancelled my acvount shortly after the debacle.

Ken

ps check your member mailbox

RickKrung

Very interesting.  Is the placement of the hole critical?  There were no dimensions (distances from nearest two edges) mentioned that I found, other than the size of the hole.  Seems like it should matter. 

Rick
Quality is like buying oats.  If you want nice, clean, fresh oats, you must pay a fair price. However, if you can be satisfied with oats that have already been through the horse, that comes at a lower price.

Elden

Quote from: Elden on April 10, 2013, 12:04:40 AM

Enclosed is a new picture that might help you to find the location for the
new point of fulcrum. First lock the screw at P but not to hard, then remove
the fulcrum bolt, next swing the plate counter clockwise till the position
on the picture. After that lock the screw at P fairly hard and drill a new
hole trough the bottom plate using the existing hole on the top plate as a starting point. Please note that you have to take in account the underside
of the top plate so that you do not interfere with the slides under the top
plate.

Rick,

All I have is the above instructions. I have not used the modification yet. In my thinking, the placement of the hole is not very critical as long one does what he described above. There will not be a scale showing degrees and one would just match the existing angle of the bit being sharpened. I need to get mine out and try it as I have some dull spade bits. :)
Elden