News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.

www.tormek.com

Main Menu

Grade of metals

Started by tempstor, July 25, 2005, 10:00:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tempstor

Its probably the metal but i just wanted to make sure. I have a few different brands of chisels and i just noticed the quality of the cut (chamfer cut on endgrain) shows between brands. I have Marples that produce a near flawless cut and some old stanleys that come in at a close second. the others fall way short on quality... namely this one i just bought at a garage sale that was advertising old tools for sale. after cleaning all the rust off it i found a stamp the says its made by PS NW TOOLS. after i sharpening this one to the same 20 degree (even tried 30) angle it produce an awful cut on the endgrain and as inspected the edge while it was cutting i noticed the cutting edge fold upward. do you know if company just pick bad quality metals to start with or could this metal have lost its integrity along the ways somewhere. all these years of woodworking and i never noticed this problem

Jeff Farris

Try one or two more sharpenings.  It may have had its temper drawn by improper grinding. You'll likely cut through the burned section in a couple of sharpenings.
Jeff Farris

Ken S

I was poking around in the archives and found this.  It seemed worth being read more often.

Ken

tooljunkie

Quote from: Ken S on February 06, 2011, 12:39:40 AM
I was poking around in the archives and found this.  It seemed worth being read more often.

Ken

Hi Ken

You mentioned that you found this poking around the archives but I was expecting a link or something to what you referred to.
Did I miss something?
You can never have enough tools!

Ken S

Dan,

This isn't a link.  What I did was by adding a post on this old posting, it brought it up out of the dust and put it center stage.  I think it's a good post, and worth the time to read.

Ke

tooljunkie

OK
Thanks

It is a good topic.
You can never have enough tools!