News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

Self contained knife jig based on Ionut-Herman jig

Started by Elden, March 28, 2013, 10:15:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Elden

Following are some pictures of my version of the Ionut-Herman jig.

See first photo

It has its own mount for mounting on the USB eliminating the use of the Tormek scissors or tool rest jig. The spacer is welded to the pipe. The plate has 2 extra sets of holes for varying the length of the rest. This may be changed by adding another set of holes. Once all holes have been added, I intend to shorten the plate.

See second photo

The bevel on the edge was done with the Tormek (that was getting my feet wet before I attempt a plane blade). ;) The other bevel was done with a handheld angle grinder.
I didn't have the pipe and spacer square with the plate when marking for the holes in the plate. Consequently, the plate is not exactly in line with the wheel. It should be close enough not to cause any problems when sharpening.
The hand wheel has ten facets.

See third photo

At the present there is no attempt for torque amplification of the clamping device on the USB.

See fourth photo

At this setting, approximately a 15 degree edge bevel can be accomplished.

See fifth and sixth photos

So far, I believe that I have spent less than $0.50 as all materials were on hand other than a fine thread nut for the locking knob. :)
Elden

Elden

The Tormek is sitting on a table that is barely bigger than the base of the Tormek. That table is mounted on a Lazy Susan made from a swivel off of a kitchen chair. This in turn is mounted on a Mojack lawnmower lift, which allows the Tormek height to be adjusted as necessary for the user. I operate from a seated position, so it needs to be lower than it does for normal operation.
I intend to post other pictures to show that.
Elden

Jeff Farris

The only thing I see to comment on is the width. It looks like it is just a bit wider than the stone, which is not what you want. If it were that much narrower than the stone, it would be better than that much wider. Other than that, cool fab.
Jeff Farris

Elden

Thanks, Jeff.
Narrowing that down is on the plan, forgot to mention that.  The angle grinder will make short work of it. :)
Thanks for pointing it out.
Elden

Herman Trivilino

Nice to see those pictures, Elden.  I like the fact that the top plate is removable.  You could easily replace it if need be.  Concerning the different holes for the adjustment of the length, you want that plate as short as you can make it, because the longer it is the further the knife will be from the operator.  Of course, if you make it too short you won't be able be able to achieve the smaller bevel angles.

I recommend you decide on the smallest bevel angle you ever plan on grinding, say 10o, and then make the plate just long enough to reach the grindstone at that angle.  It doesn't need to be any longer, and the longer you do make it the harder it'll be for you because you'll have reach further to hold the knife you're sharpening.

But ya kinda left us hangin' there, Elden.  You haven't told us how well it sharpens your knives!
Origin: Big Bang

Elden

Herman,
Thanks! Fact of the matter is, I haven't tried it yet. As Jeff pointed out, I have a little grinding on the plate left to do. Hopefully tomorrow as the pictures are finally posted! :D
As you said, doing this posting of things takes work.
Elden

Herman Trivilino

Elden, that little bit of extra width is not going to be an issue.  My guess is that once you start sharpening you'll discover than if a modification is needed it'll be an adjustment to that out of square issue you mentioned.

My development has gone through numerous changes.  I've learned a lot along the way and had a lot of fun.  And it's not over yet.  I still plan on more improvements and another video.  One of the great advantages of this jig is the ability to precisely set the bevel angle on knives that have tapered sides.  The inability of the Tormek knife jigs to do that is one their shortcomings. Something I recognized 11 years ago when I started using my Tormek machine.

Ken S

Elden, shedding the extra width is to allow clearance for the bottom of the blade to contact the wheel using both bevels.  With a one sided bevel or doing one side and then shifting the jig, it would be no problem.  (That's why I tried cutting the Torlock almost in half.)

Nice job.

Ken

Herman Trivilino

Yes, but if the jig is only a bit wider than the grindstone that is going to be an issue only for knives where the edge goes either all the way to the handle or almost all the way.  In other words, knives with no bolster or a very short bolster.  We don't encounter knives like that very often, or at least I don't.

Elden

That was what passed through my mind, Herman. I haven't checked it, bit I don't think that there would hardly be more than 1/16" beyond either side of the wheel. If it ever gets in the way, it can be readily removed.
Ken I understand your point, but I don't think it will hardly ever bother me. I am getting ready to go try it, so I'll take a close look at it. 
Elden

Elden

Herman, I like the jig. Worked on a home made machete that came from an auction. It was in with something else that I wanted. It has approximately a 10" blade. Shot for a 25 degree bevel angle, I imagine that will be too small of an angle to hold up well. It has a much more consistent bevel than it previously had and is a larger angle than it was. :)
Elden

Herman Trivilino

A 25o bevel angle on each side?  If so that's a 50o edge angle, and that should hold up well.

I'm surprised you haven't tried it out on any pocket kinves or paring knives.  Those are the knives that always frustrated me because they're too small to fit in the SVM-45.

Elden

I don't have a pocket knife anymore as my pockets aren't readily available. Do carry a folding utility knife in the pocket of my chair but their blades are replaceable. I'll have to try a paring knife. Reckon I could try one of those disposable utility blades just for kicks. ;D
Elden

ionut

That's a great jig you've put together there Elden.

Ionut

Elden

Thanks Ionut.

I did narrow the width of the rest down. The first machete I did, the edge went  into the handle. Didn't figure if the rest was a little narrower than the grinding wheel would hurt anything. Actually trimmed the wooden handle back on the machete as well.
Elden