News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

About BGM-100

Started by Don Green, March 25, 2013, 10:43:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Don Green

Newbie here.  I purchased a new and unused Supergrind 2000 with several attachments.  I am a wood carver it's intended use in general will be to maintain the edge on small detail homemade knives.  This unit came with a tool support and base that needs to be replaced with the one using the "Acme" thread and micro nut.  Also I think the support needs locking nuts on both sides of the support like the one on a T-7.

Question: Will the base supplied with the BGM-100 replace the base on the Supergrind 2000? If so it has a lock nut on both sides.

Question:  Does the tool support supplied with the BGM-100 have the "Acme" thread with the Micro adjust nut?

Thanks

Don G

Herman Trivilino

Quote from: Don Green on March 25, 2013, 10:43:14 PM
Newbie here.  I purchased a new and unused Supergrind 2000 with several attachments.  I am a wood carver it's intended use in general will be to maintain the edge on small detail homemade knives.  This unit came with a tool support and base that needs to be replaced with the one using the "Acme" thread and micro nut. 

Hi Don.  At least a few of us have threaded the shaft on our universal supports ourselves.

QuoteAlso I think the support needs locking nuts on both sides of the support like the one on a T-7.

So, yours is like mine, with just one locking screw on the horizontal base.  If it's an issue you could drill and tap a hole to add an additional locking screw.

QuoteQuestion: Will the base supplied with the BGM-100 replace the base on the Supergrind 2000? If so it has a lock nut on both sides.

The horizontal base that comes with the BGM-100 looks the same as the XB-100 in the photographs at www.sharptoolsusa.com.  But you want to know if the mounting screws will line up with the existing holes in your SuperGrind 2000, right?  I would call or email them to make sure.

QuoteQuestion:  Does the tool support supplied with the BGM-100 have the "Acme" thread with the Micro adjust nut?

It looks to me as though it does: http://www.sharptoolsusa.com/index.php?target=product&prodID=214&catID=3 but I would contact them to make sure, and find out if it comes with the microadjuster as shown in the photo.

Origin: Big Bang

Don Green

Herman

Thanks for the reply.  You are mostly right in your assumptions.  Mine is threaded and does have a lock nut, but it is not with the "
Acme" thread nor the Micro nut. Your assumption about wanting to use the base from the BGM-100 on the Supergrind is correct if the screw pattern is the same.  I believe it is because I have seen a couple of Supergrind 2000's  sold on ebay that had a base with the extra lock screw exactly like the XB-100 that is a part of the BGM-100.  I thought about drlling a hole and threading it but its just not thick enough to hold a good thread.  I  could always take it to a machine shop and have a nut welded on or use JB weld.  I just thought it would make more sense to buy a BMG-100 and have the option to use the horiznal base on the Supergrind and use the one from the Supergrind on my bench grinder.

Also if you look at the PDF file on the BMG-100 on this site, you will see the horizonal base is idenified as a XB-100, the same as the horizonal base shown on the BMG-100 file.  The only question is the screw hold down pattern dimensions??

I will email Tormek and confirm the screw pattern is the same before the purchase.

Don G

Herman Trivilino

Don, if you already have the horizontal base with the single locking screw like I have I don't understand why you'd want to change it.  It works perfectly well.  At least it does for me.   :)

Interesting that you have the threaded shaft on your universal support.  I suppose what happened is they came out with the threaded shaft in 2003 and then later changed to the Acme style threads.  Again, I don't see the need to make the upgrade but that's just me.

ionut

Hi Don,

The content of the BGM is listed below, the instruction manual is available online on the Tormek site, the universal support it is obviously threaded. Youc an also check to see if the horizontal base is not available by itself to not have to buy the entie BGM package. It may be available as an individual part so you could replace the one with one screw you already have.

Contents: Bench Grinder Mounting Set BGM-100
• Universal Support with Micro Adjust 1 pc
• Base for the Universal Support 1 pc
• Height adjustable block 56–89 mm (23/16–3½") 1 set
• Rubber feet 4 pcs
• BGM-10 Handbook 1 pc
• Profile Labels 1 set
• Bolt M6×12 with nut and washer 4 pcs
• Bolt M5×16 with nut and washer 4 pcs
• Bolt M6×40 with nut and washer 4 pcs

All the best,
Ionut

Ken S

From sharptoolsusa.com website; Tormek; replacement parts for T7:

62   XB-100 - Horizontal Base   1   $ 26.00   
64   7120 Locking screw   2   $ 4.20   
65   5290 Washer   4   $ 0.80

Revision: This is from the sharptoolsusa udgrades secrtion:

XB-100 - Horizontal Base
You'll have better control when sharpening turning tools and carving tools if  the stone is turning away from the cutting edge. By adding the XB-100 Horizontal Base to your older Tormek you can move the Universal Support from vertical mount (wheel turning into edge) to horizontal mount (wheel turning away from edge). The Owner's Handbook gives you recommended mount for various tools and jigs. Includes all necessary mounting hardware. This base is now standard on the Tormek. The latest version is now cast and precision machined and has locks on both legs.

$ 26.00

It gets you the base with locking knobs on both shafts and mounting hardware.  It's the way to go.

I bought an XB-100 for what I thought was a discount price.  It was an older model with just one screw.  Like yours, the second shaft was not thick enough to be tapped.

I believe the present model has both shafts threaded and with bolts.  It may also be available as a unit. 

Ken

Don Green

Thanks for the replys.

If the components will work, the XB-100 and support will replace mine at a better price than buying them Individually and give me the option to have a support available for my bench grinder.

Herman,
The reason I wanted both sides of the horizonal base to have locking screws is:  it seems on my unit unless you really tighten the one side, there seems to be a little movement in the support bar when appliing pressure during a grind.  I know its not much but it "Plays" with your head.  At my age there is not much left to play with.  :'(

I have a piece of aircraft aluminum 1 15/16" X 1/8" tapered to make a platform so I can sharpen detail knives as soon as I recieve a tool rest on order.  The aluminum is quite thin but being aircraft quality it is really stiff and will work (I think ?)  If not, i will make one of a piece of 1/4".

Don

Herman Trivilino

Quote from: Don Green on March 26, 2013, 02:49:36 PM
The aluminum is quite thin but being aircraft quality it is really stiff and will work (I think ?)  If not, i will make one of a piece of 1/4".

In my experience the platform needs to be thicker, not necessarily for rigidity, but to keep the handles of knives from hitting the universal support when sharpening the knife tips.

Don Green

Herman

I will just have to wait and see.  I have a tool rest ordered.  I went ahead and machined a bevel on a piece of 1/4 X 2" aircraft aluminum.  I am not sure how to post photos on this forum but will give it a try with an edit to this post later.

I posted pictures to this web-site. www.picturetrail.com/smoke810. Look in album "Tormek".  Feel free to look at the other albums if they may interest you.

Don

Don Green

Some times it pays to read a little, now I see the Radio button "Insert an Image".  Oh well maybe next time.
::) ::)
Don

Rob

Hi Don

See here........http://forum.tormek.com/index.php?topic=1537.msg5611#msg5611

There is a bunch of threads about posting pics from photobucket that might help

Best.    Rob.

Rob

to save you too much reading you just need to use the radio button in the forum software (as you just discovered) and then copy the pic using direct link option (if you're using photobucket).  If its a different pic hosting websight then you'll need to experiment with its proprietary terms for the same thing.  Cheers.  Here's one from Photobucket

Best.    Rob.

Don Green

Hi Rob

I use picturetrail.com instead of photo bucket as you can see.  It's been a long time since I have used the insert function.

Senelity is really not very good!

Don

Rob

LOL

Yes I understand senility....at least I think I do.....oh bugger ive forgotten :-)
Best.    Rob.

Rob

Heres one of the old faithful just for fun

Best.    Rob.