News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

Sharpening a Skinner Knife

Started by rickm, December 22, 2003, 01:43:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rickm

I just purchased a Tormek and have sharpened my main hunting knife successfully. However, I am having trouble with my skinner knife. The skinner knife I have is short (about 3.5" long) and has a major curve to it. I can set the Tormek to do the straight part of the knife but when I get to the curved part, lifting the knife handle does not work. What is the best way to sharpen a skinner knife?

Thanks in advance for your assistance.

Rick

Jeff Farris

Rick, I think I know the shape of the blade that you are dealing with, but I am not following what the problem is as you try to follow the curve.  Could you elaborate a bit?
Jeff Farris

rickm

When I try to follow the curve it does not keep it at the same angle. I will send a picture of the knife directly to your email account.

Rick

Jeff Farris

Got the pick, thanks, Rick.

For those of you who didn't get it, I have attached it.  FYI, you can add a picture of less than 100Kb to your post with the "Attach" feature below.

Rick, with curve this broad, line up the knife jig in the center of the curve, as indicated by the arrow in the attachment.  That should make it easier to keep a uniform bevel.  
Jeff Farris

rickm

Thanks....I did try this already but because the curve is so great it is difficult for me to maintain a consistent bevel.  Thanks for your help.

Rick