News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

Tips For Sharpening Hair & Dog Grooming Clippers

Started by Sgian Dubh, March 30, 2020, 12:20:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sgian Dubh

Hello folks. It's good to join you here.

Recently I got a T8, exciting times. I'm an experienced hand sharpener, but it's so time consuming and labour intensive that I was happy to finally tool up and go mechanised.

As advised, I'll be starting with my oldest and cheapest chisel later on today.

I can't seem to find any educational internet videos for hair and dog grooming clippers with the Tormek system. The one thread I found here was short and more than a decade old. So I thought I'd fire up a new one.

I'd be grateful for dos and don'ts tips on how to sharpen hair and dog grooming clipper blades, thanks.

Sharpco

IMHO, You have to use bench stone. The flatness is extremely important for clipper blade.

Ken S

I agree with Sharpco. I would add that the bench stone must be kept very flat.

Ken

Sgian Dubh

Thanks for the replies.

I don't expect clippers to be a big part of my repertoire, yet I've had enough enquiries about them to make it worthwhile to get a system in place for them.

I will look further in to the bench stones.

With a very flat surface being essential I'm also thinking along the lines of a lapping plate; certain grits of wet and dry sandpaper and the old figure of eight pattern by hand.

Ken S

I would suggest you research this carefully. I would start with a high quality diamond stone company like DMT. You want a quality product which will stay flat. Diamond is the hardest material and diamond stones cut quickly. Be sure to learn how to use them properly. I use diamond stones only for misc. sharpening procedures, so I can't really make good grit suggestions.

Ken

Even

Hello.
I have sharpened my own clipper blades, but have not sharpened for professional clients.
I use the side on the diamond wheels on the tormek, I finish with the DE250 and it has given me good results.
If you don't have the diamond wheels then I think there was someone from Tormek in Sweden who said you can use the SVP-80 jig on clipper blades.

Even

bisonbladesharpening

Most professionals use a flat hone which is similar to a record player turntable
and different grits of diamond spray.  Decent flat hones can cost upwards of 3 times what a tormek costs.
Best Wishes