News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.

www.tormek.com

Main Menu

Magnets in the Water

Started by GeorgeD, May 31, 2005, 10:00:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GeorgeD

Maybe it was the way I was doing things, but using the Magnet in the Water trough worked well, but a bear to clean.
I experimented with a few different styles of magnets and found that a pair of Rare Earth magnets worked great!  I just keep some 2" wide packing tape next to the grinder and when I am ready to use it, I place the two Rare Earth magnets on the tape and stick it to the bottom of the wter trough.  These magnets are extremely thin , approx 1/8",and are very strong.  They collect all of the filings and when I am done, I just pull the tape off and wash it out with none of the filings sticking to the magnets since they are on the outside.
Don't know if this is a tip anyone can use, but I thought I would stick it out here anyway...
If someone has a good idea of how to mount the magnets, let me know.. ::)

Jeff Farris

I tape mine to the outside of the water tray, on the inside edge near the bottom.  I used "gaffer's tape" which is a high quality cloth tape that resists moisture and has great adhesion.
Jeff Farris

GeorgeD

Thanks Jeff...Hadn't thought about using that tape.....I guess I didn't state that I also place mine on the outside.  Works great!

I am now experimenting with a dab of silicone, then press the magnets into it as it sets up, then remove the magnets while it finishes. So far it makes a flexible pocket to place the magnet and gives you easy removal when you want to....I will see how well it stands up to placing and removing the magnets.

Ed

I would tape it onto the bottom but it kept being pulled off by the frame when I would put the trough in place.

What I did do that works fantastic is, I put the magnet in a 2x3" plastic ziplock bags.  I then take out the magnet and rinse the bag or just replace it.

I have thousands of the bags, I used them in the business I closed and have more than I will ever use.

I bet you can get some on ebay inexpensively

bnlsrv

I epoxied mine smack dab in the middle - on the outside, at the bottom.
Bill in the midwest.

Brad Moser

What does the magnet on the water trough do for you.  I understand that it will attract the metal filings left from what you are sharpening but why is it needed to separate the metal out?

Jeff Farris

Brad, it keeps the stone a little cleaner.  The stone is less likely to become glazed when the steel is pulled out of the water.
Jeff Farris

Brad Moser

JAC1961

Just wanted to say that I epoxied 2 rare earth magnets on the end of my water container and it really seems to work.  I used 2 - 3/4" dia. by 1/8" thk. magents and positioned them on the end, below the normal waterline where the stone enters the water.  The first time I used it I was was really surprised that it looked like ALL the metal particles were stuck to the inside of the container.  I just dumped the water and wiped them out with a rag.

Great modification to the system!