News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.

www.tormek.com

Main Menu

chisel sharpening blues

Started by jeffs55, January 09, 2013, 04:08:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jeffs55

I cannot get my chisel at an angle that will allow it to be sharpened properly. It seems that the length of blade is not long enough to allow the support rod to go low enough to produce the proper angle. When the chisel is in the square edge jig, the parts that slide along the rod come into contact with the spinning grindstone. I cannot do it either against the spin or with the spin direction. Anyone else experience this? thanx
You can use less of more but you cannot make more of less.

Ken S

Jeff,

I think you may have your SE-76 jig turned end for end.  If you are standing on the side of your Tormek with the switch, you should be able to read the label on the SE-76 right side up.

By the way, you are not the first one to do this!

Keep us posted.

Ken

Jeff Farris

Jeff,

Can you grasp the chisel by the shank or tang in the clamp?  It will open up wide enough to accommodate a very thick shank. You will need to pay close attention to clamping everything straight, so that the edge will come out square.
Jeff Farris

jeffs55

Ken S, I had it clamped correctly. If I had not gotten any replies, I was going to post some pictures. I assume that you know me as that was a good question! LOL
Jeff Farris, I followed your advice and "choked up" on the shank of the chisel. However, it is round and the square edge jig has flat edges. That makes it exceedingly difficult to line things up. I did do it after a lot of swearing and sweating. I tried using a machinist square and all sorts of contortions but this is not for the faint of heart! After all this the chisel edge is now sharper than a razor! Of course I stropped it on the leather wheel. But, I am not sure it is 90 degrees to the shaft. This particular chisel was a ONE inch chisel. I wonder if the SVS 32 is not the way to go on this in the future?  Thank you all!

Jeff Farris

The SVS-32 might work out fine, with less fussing about to get clamped. If you can cheat it back in so that the clamping pad has a little bit of the flat to work with, that might make it easier, too.
Jeff Farris

jeffs55

.........................or is the SVS 50 a better option? thanx

Jeff Farris

Same, same. The SVS-50 with the open seat would provide the same support as the SVS-32. The one advantage to the SVS-32 would be that it moves the clamping point forward toward the cutting edge by a half inch or so.
Jeff Farris

Ken S

Brought forward for reference.

Ken