News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

How long to use stone grader?

Started by nobby1967, December 14, 2012, 04:07:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nobby1967

How long to use stone grader?  to get corse and fine grits on stone.
I got a T7 had about a week any tips thanks

Jeff Farris

30 to 45 seconds is a starting point. The real answer is to use it until it gets the job done. When grading the stone fine, the stone should feel smooth enough that you don't think it is going to do anything. Think wet glass. Going back to fast cutting, the stone should feel like a piece of 220 grit sandpaper. If you can't feel the bite of the abrasive, you need to spend more time with the coarse side of the grader.

Time is only part of the equation. Don't be afraid to use some pressure, too.
Jeff Farris

Dakotapix

That was actually a darned good question and Jeff's answer was good too. I've frequently wondered about this. Seems that I've been doing the stone grading fairly correctly, maybe instinctively, but I've often wondered about this.

nobby1967

Thanks Jeff for a good  common sense answer.
I also Had a little peak at your demos on your web site  ;)
I have done most of my bench planes now a vast improvement on how they use to be. Also done about 15 chisels about another 15 togo  :o I done a few hour work this morning then came home and was in shed from 11:00 to 18:00 think I have got sharpening bug :)
20 odd plough plane cutters to do as well.
None of my stuff is of great quality Stanley, Record,and Marples.
After doing all cutters and chisels I intend to make a saw vice get my old saws out and give them a sharpen. I must admit I have never sharpened a saw I always sent them off to a saw doctor.
As I have been in building trade most of my working life the need for these saw came extinct when hard points came out. I know that I have lost one of my spear and jacksons from a badly pitted blade :'( I treated myself to a Pax tennon saw looks to good to use.
Sorry rambling on a bit think I best stop.
Thank for your answer once again.
Mark A.

Elden

Nobby,
There's not a thing wrong with those steel blades as you well know. I used to enjoy sharpening them. Still have several pieces of Foley Belsaw equipment sitting in my shed. If you have a stand type belt grinder, it works very well on sharpening circular steel saw blades after they have been set and jointed.
I made a post a couple of days ago in the hand tool woodworking section of this forum about hand sharpening handsaws (it contains a couple of good links on sharpening handsaws by hand). It is found in a post by RobinW entitled Hand Saw Sharpening.

I also appreciated Jeff's response on the stone grader.
Elden
Elden

nobby1967

Thanks kb0rvo I will have a look.
I Have done a little research into saw sharpening and one web site was vintagesaws.com came up very good. I have also seen a few youtube videos Li-neilsen pretty good video. I also have Ron Hocks book The Perfect Edge has a chapter on saw sharpening.
I have bought different size saw files and the Veritas saw jointer jig.
I know I must of tried sharpening saw in past I have some saw files and a eclipse saw set. I think this saw set alright for larger teeth so need to invest in a finer saw set to do 15-20 tpi.