News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

interesting video, including interview with President Carter

Started by Ken S, September 28, 2012, 03:14:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ken S

I enjoyed this, and thought the forum would, also.  The program includes an interview with President Carter and wood turning.

http://thehighlandwoodworker.com/?et_mid=581752&rid=5728235

Ken

Mike Fairleigh

Mike

"If I had 8 hours to chop down a tree, I'd spend 7 sharpening my axe."  --Abraham Lincoln

Ken S

You're welcome, Mike.  I hope more of the forum will enjoy this video.  What beautiful, skillful turning.  And, Sam Maloof's chairs are hard to beat!

Ken

Mike Fairleigh

The thing that has always made Maloof's furniture amazing (to me) is not just the fact that it's so beautiful, but that he was also such a practical woodworker.  If a particular task was best accomplished by beating the wood with a tire iron, well that's what he did.  There was no tool snobbery or magic processes involved, just a band saw, some relatively simple tools, and mad skills.
Mike

"If I had 8 hours to chop down a tree, I'd spend 7 sharpening my axe."  --Abraham Lincoln

Ken S

Good thought, Mike.  It's easy to get caught up in the fancy footwork and gadgets.  And then, we see a true master of the craft who works directly and we can have a course correction.  We are most fortunate to live in an era when we can have the opportunity to share in some of those masters' moments with DVDs.  I will put Sam Maloof's DVD on my short list.

Ken

tedn1

Great video!  I really like his explanation on sharpening scrapers. Thanks for the link Ken!

Ken S

You're welcome.  I believe this video is part of an ongoing series.  I haven't explored the rest yet, however, I believe the exploration would be worth the effort.

Ken