News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.

www.tormek.com

Main Menu

Question about the woodturning kit (set of jigs) package

Started by Rhino, August 31, 2012, 05:04:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rhino

I am thinking about buying the woodturning kit.  I can also buy the individual components over time as I need it.  It seems like all of the individual components can be purchased separately and the discount for buying all at once is not a lot. 

I don't turn wood but I want to play with the tool rest, profiled honing wheel, and I can find use for the cover and the other stuff except for the specialized tool for gouges.

Any thoughts or suggestions?  Are there any non-woodturning people out there who have the kit?

Thanks.

Mike Fairleigh

I'm not a turner either (unfortunately - if I had room for a lathe I'd be all over it), but based on what you said I'd recommend going a piece at a time as your wants/needs become more clear.  But everyone is different, including their tool budget.  ;D   If it were me, I'd buy the pieces I wanted now, and send the difference to Lie-Nielsen.  ;)
Mike

"If I had 8 hours to chop down a tree, I'd spend 7 sharpening my axe."  --Abraham Lincoln

Ken S

I bought the individual jigs instead of either of the packages.  That may of may not have been a good idea.  ii have a lathe, but didn't have a shop until quite recently.

In my case, I bought almost all of the jigs and accessories when they were on sale.  I don't know if anyone is doing shows for Tormek anymore. Affinity did the last show in my area.  I kept hoping I might meet Jeff at one of the local shows.  I bought most of the jigs during shows at 20% off or, once in a while, the dealer had 20% sales on almost anything in the store.  This can be little slower way to acquire things.  just be ready to jump when the sale happens.

My advice would be to buy the jigs you can use.  I would include the Torlock.  I use the TTS-100 in sharpening chisels and planes.  That's not the original function, but I have found it useful.

Like Mike, I have sent a few dollars to Warren, Maine, and hope to continue doing so.

Ken

Rhino

Thank you for your advice.  You are right.  I'll just order the parts as I need them.  I just got the Torlock to square my scrapers before I roll the edges.  I use my scrapers around the house a lot for many cleaning tasks.  It is an under appreciated piece of tool. 

Regarding the comment about the Lie Nielsen, I am not a woodworker that uses a good plane.  I have some power tools but they make things too fast and clutter up the house.  I have more time than space so I am thinking of switching to hand tools for everything except sawing.  From what I have seen, I wouldn't mind getting a Jack Plane just to mess around.  Maybe a Lee Valley one.

Ken S

I'm glad I'm not the only one who uses scrapers for less than pristine uses.  They are certainly useful tools.

For what it's worth, I'm a fan of both Lie-Nielsen and Lee Valley.  Both are top quality makers.  I generally prefer traditionally designed tools.  Lie-Nielsen leans that way.  Lee Valley is more innovative in its designing.

My only Lie-Nielsen tools are three bevel chisels (the /16 sizes).  They ooze quality.  (I think Lee Valley's recent chisel offerings can give them a run for the money.)

I have been a Lee Valley customer for many years.  They have never disappointed me.  I have one of their planes, the plow plane.  It is a real stand out tool, even before they added the versatility of the newer blades.  It leaves the venerable Stanley 45 in the dust.

Choosing between these two brands is really personal preference on a tool by tool basis. It is a win-win choice.

For a jack plane, I actually have three.  All are old Stanleys, the oldest being inherited from my grandfather.  It is from the 1890s.  The middle is a 1909 Bedrock.  The new kid, is from 1926.  All are fine tools.  While I appreciate the quality of LV and L-N, I have no desire to replace my old trooper jack planes.  (No, no one "needs" three jack planes.)

My suggestion for a "mess around with" jack plane would be to first buy Chris Schwarz' Handplane book and than find a prewar Stanley in good condition. Ernie Conover's out of print handplane VHS is worthwhile, also.  Your local library might be able to find a copy for you.   They are very plentiful and quite reasonably priced.  The book will pay for itself in helping you make a good choice and tuning the plane.  Tuning a plane is not difficult, and the skill will serve you well.  It can be fun, too.

Ken