News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

Axe jig

Started by Mike Fairleigh, August 18, 2012, 10:24:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mike Fairleigh

Just wondering if anyone here has experience with the axe jig?  I've recently developed an interest in axes and have been wondering how good a tool the Tormek is for sharpening these (necessarily) convex-edged tools.
Mike

"If I had 8 hours to chop down a tree, I'd spend 7 sharpening my axe."  --Abraham Lincoln

tonylumps

Mike it really works good.I did my long handle with the Jig. Now I am a little leary about it I think I put to much of an edge on it One slip and it won't take any prisoners. Had to do my Carpenter Hatchet by hand because of the Hammer head. It came out pretty good.

Jeff Farris

Mike,

I use the Tormek on my axes, but do it freehand, rather than with the jig. The jig does not produce the convex edge that is generally preferred on an axe or hatchet.
Jeff Farris

Mike Fairleigh

Thanks Jeff, can you describe the action you use when grinding a convex-edged axe - do you move the tool parallel to the edge, or perpendicular with some sort of rocking motion?
Mike

"If I had 8 hours to chop down a tree, I'd spend 7 sharpening my axe."  --Abraham Lincoln

Jeff Farris

Quote from: KSMike on August 19, 2012, 05:01:29 PM
Thanks Jeff, can you describe the action you use when grinding a convex-edged axe - do you move the tool parallel to the edge, or perpendicular with some sort of rocking motion?

Yes.  ;D

Okay, that was a little flip.  But, in fact, it's about what I do. I work across the stone, parallel with the edge, three or four passes, with the edge off the stone, in effect working the back of the bevel. Then I raise the angle slightly and repeat. I keep doing this until I am up at an angle where the edge is being ground, then I work back down to the back of the bevel. Turn the head over and do the same on the other side. On a typical axe head, I probably work 4 "sections", but don't work at keeping them distinct...in fact you want to make sure you don't work at exactly the same point too often, with the exception of the work right at the cutting edge and (less critical) at the back of the bevel.
Jeff Farris

Mike Fairleigh

Great description, thanks Jeff.  That's exactly what I did to remove a nick that came on one of the new axes I recently acquired, so I'm relieved to know I did it right.  :D

On a related note, a Youtube video demonstrating some of these kinds of freehand sharpenings would be a really cool thing to see.  The more Tormek-y I get, the more I see the need to get good at freehanding.
Mike

Herman Trivilino

I assume you are working with the grindstone moving away from you?
Origin: Big Bang

Jeff Farris

That would be a correct assumption.  :D
Jeff Farris

The Finn

Jeff, what grit would be good choice for basic axe sharpening?

Jeff Farris

220 (ungraded). Axes generally need quite a bit of stock removal, and the steel is fairly soft.
Jeff Farris

The Finn

Quote from: Jeff Farris on November 12, 2012, 05:44:08 AM
220 (ungraded). Axes generally need quite a bit of stock removal, and the steel is fairly soft.

Thanks! Just sharpened one medium sized splitting axe. I used jig for the sharp edge and convexed rest with freehand. Results were way better than I expected :)