News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

1 day old Tormek, should I bin it?

Started by Chief, March 30, 2012, 11:05:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ken S

Patrick,

Welcome to the forum.  I trust your new Tormek will be a useful and enjoyable tool for many years to come.

I hope you will allow yourself enough time to really learn how to use your Tormek.  Be sure to watch Jeff's videos on the sharptoolsusa website.  Start with one simple tool, a mid size (three quarter inch more or less) chisel is a good starting point.  Stay with it until you feel comfortable and it is very sharp.  Don't rush. Keep a sharpie marker  your sharpening area and use it often.

Care for your Tormek properly.  Don't leave your shop at the end of the day with water in the trough. 

Enjoy your new Tormek and sharp edges.  Do keep us posted.

Ken

Chief

11 Months later I was amazed this was still on the top few of the posts on here!

I bought the BGM-100 so I could do the re-profiling on my standard dry grinder, now all my tools are at the right profile to work with the Tormek Jigs I seldom need to use that any more, as discussed last year practice does improve results and I have been sharpening constantly with the Tormek once all my tools were the right shape. Back last year the rep did promise to call in and swap my grind stone for his demo one as I was convinced that mine was faulty due to losing so much diameter, he never turned up, so it never happened but by October I had to buy a new stone as mine was down to 7" (lost about ½" a month) and what a difference! the new one makes the tool work as expected, within days of fitting the new stone I knew why the Tormek was rated as a great tool. if only I had pursued the issue and taken the stone into the dealer or to a show the rep was at, then I would have had a great tool much earlier..

Cheers

Pete

Ken S

Chief, I'm glad your boat finally righted.  I would suggest you write Tormek AB and nicely, but firmly grumble.  They should make things right. 

Keep us posted whether they respond or not, and good turning.

Ken