News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

"old" Tormek wheel doesn't seem to be holding up

Started by egourieux, March 13, 2012, 08:29:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

egourieux

I have a 8-10 year old Tormek (approx) with the original wheel.  I never let it sit in the water after using it.  Lately, I seem to be getting a dip in the middle of the stone that develops after sharpening just one or two HSS bowl gouges - sharpening, not re-shaping.  Reconditioning the wheel between gouges helps some, but I feel like the stone has become "soft".  Could this happen after a number of years?  If I replace the wheel, which replacement do you recommend for HSS gouges?

Jeff Farris

It could be just a slight inconsistency in the density of the stone at one spot. I've seen it before, and they're rarely as much as 1 mm thick, usually less than .5 mm.  True the wheel, rather than grading it, and see if it doesn't go away after a few more uses.

If you decide to get a new wheel, the SB-250 "Blackstone" is the best choice for HSS turning tools.
Jeff Farris