News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.

www.tormek.com

Main Menu

Cheap rough grinding stone for T3 solution

Started by aquataur, February 27, 2012, 01:05:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

aquataur

(This subject probably affects only readers in Austria and Germany, but this is the place to post it anyway.)

Just recently I bought a T3 model and sharpened a few chisels to perfection.
Sobering, when I put my Stanley hand planer´s blade on the machine, which is obviously HSS.
After half an hour I gave up, when only half of the blade was done.

I looked in the web for rougher stones, but you only seem to get finer stones, at least for the T3.
A diamond wheel might be the solution, but this is another investment. But a cheap workaround is at hand.

I happened to have a wet/dry grinder machine that is ubiquitous in home-department shops in Austria and Germany similar to the one shown here:
http://www.walter-service.at/index.php?page=product&info=1669

I suspect this is a chinese machine which is sold by a couple of tool traders under different names.

It consists of two grinding stones, one high speed dry and one low speed wet grind both mounted at a 90 degree angle.  The machine comes at a price of about 50 Euros. Maybe the stone can be obtained as a spare on its own..

It turns out that they use the same dimension grind stone (200 mm * 40mm) as the T3 although with a different bore. However, their machine uses the same axle and they use an adaptor. The stone appears much rougher, I guess a 120 grit from the information on the website. The wet stone they sell as compatible article has 80 grit and a ridiculously low price.
I used their adaptor and lo and behold, the grindstone fits perfectly albeit with a small wobble which does not hurt.

It ground the planer blade into shape in one minute flat. A little touch-up with the SG stone in 1000 grit mode and that was it - razor sharp HSS planer blade with a perfect angle.

A different solution would be to use their bench grinder mounting set BGM-100 with some makeshift holder on the cheap machine, but the prior solution is more elegant and maintains the correct angle as long as the stones have the same diameter.

I consider this workaround not financially detrimental to the Tormek series of articles, because such a stone is simply not available. In the contrary, this should encourage you to get a T3 folks!

-helmut

aquataur