News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

Main Shaft Grease

Started by Gary M., February 22, 2012, 03:11:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gary M.

Hello, New Tormek T7 user here. Been getting acquainted with my machine by sharpening some old knives and scissors which had some rust on them. I noticed that some of the rusty water dripped down between the collar and micro threads and decided to start a colony. That's a no-no so I decided to disassemble the machine and give the inside of the collars and the micro threads a cleaning and spritz of WD-40. Then I noticed that the main shaft grease that the stone mounts to is dry.

So my question is, should I wipe the dry stuff off and apply some fresh? If so, what type grease is recommended? Will any petroleum based lube work?

Thanks,
Gary

Mike Fairleigh

I'm new too, so I'm just throwing another comment on the table.  I recently took the shaft out of my T7 and lubed the nylon bearings with Super Lube Synthetic Grease (after cleaning them up well).  I recently became familiar with this grease and am adopting it for virtually all the applications in my house that require grease.  It's cheap, clear, waterproof, and the perfect thickness & viscosity in my opinion.
Mike

"If I had 8 hours to chop down a tree, I'd spend 7 sharpening my axe."  --Abraham Lincoln

Gary M.

Hi Mike,  Where do you buy Super Lube?

Mike Fairleigh

Hi Gary, just go to Amazon.com and search for "super lube synthetic grease."  I like having the 3oz. tube and the 1/2oz. tube around for different things, but they package it in every other typical grease container too.

Again, I'm still a Tormek newbie myself so I'm not the expert on this - but I'm very happy with the Super Lube for this and many other applications too.
Mike

"If I had 8 hours to chop down a tree, I'd spend 7 sharpening my axe."  --Abraham Lincoln

Sergio

Hello, just check my post on the chatter marks I left previously. The lubrication is extensively treated.
Regards.

Ken S

I remember a comment Bob Vaughn made at a jointer/planer repair class.  He said the presence of lubrication is more important the the particular kind of lubrication. 

Ken

Gary M.

Thanks for the feedback gentlemen. Much appreciated.

Regards,
Gary