News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

Sharpening question from newbie

Started by DAVID OLIVER, July 13, 2011, 02:35:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DAVID OLIVER

When I measure the angle on a small knife and adjust the jig I am actually girding the jig. Is this caused by trying to sharpen a knife that is too small or am I just setting it up incorrectly. Any help would be appreciated

Jeff Farris

The minimum blade size for the knife jig is 5/8" from the back of the blade to the cutting edge. Knives smaller than that should be sharpened freehand.
Jeff Farris

DAVID OLIVER

Ken S

David, are you having any better success?  One pattern I have noticed with new members is they often start with a difficult tool of one which stretches the limits of the Tormek. A six inch slicing knife would be an easier tool to begin with.  We have written about starting with a chisel.  Some prefer 3/4"; some prefer 1/2".  The exact size doesn't matter.  The idea is to use a simple tool well within the comfort zone.

Don't get discourages, and keep us posted.

Ken

DAVID OLIVER

i wont be able to sharpen anything until this weekend, I have been sharpening mainly hunting and fillet knives, I have had some luck but i have also had a number of occasions where I dig the edge into the stone, if it keeps up I will need a new stone in no time :-\

tb444

Thin filet knives can cause difficulties due to the narrow blade and the flex towards the tip, if you don't want to go freehand you could make up a wooden jig by putting a rabbet along the edge of the same depth as the knife thickness, but slightly narrower so that the edge protrudes, and then embedding some strong rare earth magnets to hold the blade securely from the one side only. This way you have jig that will hold the knife with nothing below the blade to hit the stone.
Ill take some pics if you cant decipher what i mean

Robert Krancher

@tb444 I would love to see some pics of you can post. Thanks.

Rhino

If you have dug you knives into the stone a few times, I would check it for roundness and use the diamond truing tool to true it up.  Once you have a nick or dent in the stone, you would do it again and again because you will catch on the dent.  Then I would adjust my pressure and/or holding method to prevent it from happening again since you are developing the skill to use the Tormek on more intricate or more expensive things. 

Just a suggestion.