News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

Universal Support Jig - Honing

Started by mdelgado, October 19, 2011, 03:45:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mdelgado

I'm having trouble using the squate edge jig and the Universal Support jig when honing a Veritas plane blade.  It seems like the blade is too wide to allow the square edge jig to move sufficiently far enough to the right.  When I set the blade (using the marker method), the jig won't go any farther right due to the threaded rod on the universal support jig.  So I'm forced to hone free-hand which results in, you guessed it, a rounded over (and useless) blade.  Any suggestions on how to hone this blade?  Also, any suggestions for fixing the rounded over edge would be appreciated also.  Thanks. 

Jeff Farris

No fix for a rounded edge except a return to the grindstone. It won't take much.

Try it without the jig. Get a feel for where the bevel is, and freehand honing is quite simple.
Jeff Farris

tb444

My advice would be magic marker and slowly approach the edge from the back of the bevel until you hit the edge