News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

Knife Edge

Started by Byron, March 15, 2005, 06:48:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Byron

Ok, I have sharpened several knives now and I have to say they are sharp!  I have had problems with keeping the bevel uniform across the blade, specifically at the rounded tip.  I lift the knife as I come to the rounded tip but the bevel seems to widen.  I read the owners manual for this process and it points out that the position of the knife (left to right) determines the uniformity of the edge.  Is there a trick to positioning the knife to maintain a uniform bevel width?

Honer

The Sharptools video helped me a ton.
You can watch it on line.

Jeff Farris

Honer has the right suggestion.  Watch the online video on knives.  The problem with the manual is that it does not really show the way that Torgny or I sharpen knives with the jig.  I don't know why but I assume it is an interpretation problem of the person that watched Torgny and wrote the instructions and did the drawings.  The bevel will remain more consistent if you rotate the jig up and down to follow the bevel, instead of fore and aft.
Jeff Farris