News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

Knives

Started by Captain Ron, February 04, 2005, 03:31:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Captain Ron

I still thinking of getting a Tormek for knife sharpening. And I was wondering when you sharpen a knife how easy is to get the bur off using the leather wheel.
Some people say that you have to use other methods to remove the bur for the best results.
Thanks for any help.

Jeff Farris

I have read some of those comments on the internet, too.  I just don't get it.  I think someone is trying to sell something more when it really isn't needed.  I can deburr and polish the edge on a 14 inch French chef's knife in  under a minute, and I can guarantee you that there are hundreds of readers of this forum that have seen me do it.
Jeff Farris

Honer

I'm scheduled to receive my deluxe kit today.
I did a lot of homework about knife sharpening systems and concluded that I could get professional quality knife sharpening results from the Tormek.
Now the yahoo user's group seems to contradict this conclusion.
I certainly hope they are wrong!

Captain Ron

I have seen that yahoo user's group  too.  I am kind of holding my breath hoping to find out about the knife sharping abilities before I buy. I trust Jeff but like a lot of people I have a lot of sharpeners that I thought would work but didn't. ???

Jeff Farris

Did you read all of the thread?  While a couple of folks mentioned other methods, I addressed every criticism they offered and many satisfied customers responded that they were getting the results they wanted.  

One of the downsides of the internet is that you as a consumer have to learn to filter the signal to noise ratio.  Anyone can make noise.
Jeff Farris

Honer

I got my system yesterday and I am loving it.
My knives are now sharper than they have ever been and I know, with more practice, I can hang with the "pros."

Byron

I just received my Tormek yesterday.  I started with a couple old knives that were in bad shape.  In about 3-4 minutes they were cutting paper like Jeff shows in his video demo. ;D  More importantly, I did it wrong and it still came out sharp.  I think this says a lot about the system.

I will say, tough, it will take some practice to get the technique down.  I am dissapointed about one thing.  I have a couple of Stanley chisels and they are too short for the jig.  I posted a question about it but haven't heard anything yet.  I know a "regular" chisel will work fine.