News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

Tormek Drill Bit Sharpening Attachment - Bowling Ball Drill Bits?

Started by sharpeningshack, February 21, 2011, 07:56:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sharpeningshack

Hello Tormek Board,

Question for someone, I have some customers that want to know if the new drill bit attachment can sharpen Bowling Ball Drill bits that have a small 1/2 shank with the main drill bit up to 1 1/8" Carbide tip. I was going to buy the new drill bit adapter and a SB-250 - Blackstone Silicon stone....

I would appreciate any comments as to the drill attachment working on large diameter bits and the Silicon stone...

Thx Matt in San Diego

Ken S

Matt,

Good question.  The vise part which holds the shaft of the drill bit will only handle up to 22mm (Hence, the "22" in DBS-22)  That's about 7/8".  The protrusion in front is only one inch.  Unless you bit is half inch almost of the length, it won't work with the jig.

If you google "Tormek drill videos" you will find a couple very good videos.  One is "Stu's Shack and I don't remember the name of the other.  Both are lengthy and will give you a good look at the jig in action.

Ken

sharpeningshack

Thanks Ken for the input, that's what I needed to know about bowling ball bits.......... I think I will still order the jig for my other drill bits.... Any recommendation on Carbon Tipped drill bits as far as the stone to use?

Thx Matt ;D

Ken S

Matt,

I just bought my DBS-22 last Friday.  Anything beyond what won't fit would be just a guess on my part.

The jig looks like a very solid product.  I think you would like it for your other bits. 

My gut feeling is the SB-250 stone would be good for high speed bits and carbide tip touch ups.  (It's the next thing on my radar.)

Keep us posted.

Ken

ps, The two videos I mentioned in my last post really are worth your time to view.  Both are thorough.

Ken S

Matt,

I was looking through the instruction manual with the DBS-22.  The possibilities for this jig only begin at sharpening standard jobber's drill bits.  (In case "jobber's" is unfamiliar to you, it's the common length of fractional drill bits....the garden variety drill bits.)

With a range of 1/8" to 7/8" (3 to 22 millimeters), the range includes number bits from 1 to 30 and all the letter bits.  Seven eighths inch would include some of the smaller bits with Morse tapers used in machine shops.  Bell hanger bits used in the telephone, data and cable TV industries.  Most of the masonry bits.

Not only will the jig handle all these bits, it can be adjusted to "custom" sharpen them for different materials.  That's a lot of firepower!

Are you thinking of sharpening drill bits professioinally?  If so, here's an idea for you:  I worked as a telephone installer.  Over the years I went through hundreds of bits, mostly twelve or eighteen inch "bell hanger" bits.  (Bell hanger bits have a hole near the end to pull wires back through the hole.)  I was one of the very few who sharpened my own bits (the carbon steel twist bits).  I also carried carbide tipped masonry bits in both long and short lengths.

Most of these are pricey bits.  They could be easily resharpened many times with the Tormek and DBS-22.  If you are interested, check with your local telephone and cable TV companies.  (Talk with an installer to find out how to reach the local foraman.)  Electricians and "wire puller" companies would be good prospects.

Telephone crews could provide a lot of repeat work.  And, the bits are in only a few standard sizes.

More later.....

Ken

sharpeningshack

Hi Ken,

Yes I do sharpen with other diamond stone sharpeners but they tend to remove to much metal because of the hi-speed of the diamond wheels. That's why I want to move to the Tormek. I think it will do a better job and remove a lot less metal...Thanks for the recommendation, I have been doing the local Cable Guys bits for about a year now.

Regards Matt

Ken S

Matt,

The cable guys would be drilling the same holes I did for telephone wires.  I used to resharpen my bell hanger bits for a smaller point angle.  I never checked exactly (I used a hand file).  The 90 degree setting on the DBS-22 would be close. The standard 118 degrees is really for metal.  Most of the wood holes I drilled were through soft framing lumber.  The sharper point seemed to cut faster.

Ken