News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

Short Chisels

Started by Byron, March 04, 2005, 03:19:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Byron

I have several Stanley chisels whose blades are 2 1/2" to 3 1/2" in length.  Bevel is 25 degrees.  Can't get the jig close enough to the stone to achieve the 25 degrees.  Is the blade length too short for the Tormek jig? :'(

Jeff Farris

There are two approaches to this.  The first is the one covered in the Owner's Handbook, using the SVS-32 Short Tool Jig.

The second is to abandon using the two lugs on the right edge of the jig to set the blade square.  Just push the tool further through the jig (you'll need about 1-1/4" to get 25 degrees) and then use a small engineer's square to square the blade to the front edge of the jig.
Jeff Farris

Byron

I'll try the second approach.  Thanks.

msrdnr

There's a third way, although not quite "by the book." Just sharpen the chisel on the Tormek freehand, i.e, with no jig. It's pretty easy to keep a constant "length" of the chisel just using the universal tool support and your fingers sliding back and forth. For most chisels this works fine.

Byron

I just finished using the second method posted by Jeff.  It worked fine.  I processed all my chisels in no time. ;D