News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.

www.tormek.com

Main Menu

Cap Iron Plane Screwdriver

Started by tooljunkie, January 26, 2011, 06:03:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tooljunkie

Hello every one

Here is a product you may be interested in picking.
It is a Cap Iron Plane Screwdriver.

A regular screwdriver just doesn't work well on cap iron screws. A narrow blade can mar the cap-screw slot, and there's always the risk that the screwdriver tip will slip out of the slot altogether.
We designed this screwdriver to make it both safe and easy to remove, replace or adjust cap irons.

It has a turned brass collar surrounding the tip to capture the head of a cap iron screw up to 21/32" in diameter, and a generous bubinga knob for a comfortable, secure grip.

The slot-style tip is durable alloy steel. Not only for VeritasĀ® planes, it fits all standard cap iron screws on current and vintage Record and Stanley planes as well as others based on them.

A convenient tool for safely loosening or tightening stubborn cap iron screws.

http://www.leevalley.com/en/wood/page.aspx?p=60111&cat=1,230,41182

Dan
You can never have enough tools!

Ken S

Dan,

This has been on my "want to buy" list for some time.  It looks like a very useful and well designed tool.  In fact, it looks more practical than its Lie-Nielsen equivalent.

Just curious, but, "We designed this screwdriver"; did you work on the design team?  If so, good job.

Thanks for a useful post.

Ken

tooljunkie

No not me.

I wish I did!

The text was the description from Lee Valley.

I did buy it & it works amazingly good.

Ken S

Dan,

Don't forget the important part you (and all of us) play in the chain.  All the brilliant engineering and precision machining would come to naught if not for the guy with the plastic wallet!

Actually, I have been a Lee Valley customer for many years.  Other than the fact that they don't sell Tormek, they are very nice innovative people to deal with.  Leonard Lee's sharpening dvd is now a little dated, but the good dry humor is as good as ever.  Their small plough plane is a delight to use.

Ken

glh17

Thanks for the post.  I get a Lee-Valley newsletter (email), but don't remember seeing that screwdriver.  Good idea.  I suspect more than just a few people have stabbed their palms while trying to remove the cap iron screw with a standard screwdriver.  I try to follow Jim Kingshott's recommendation of placing the iron on a flat surface, but sometimes that's just not handy.

Ken S

Dan,

Do you happen to know if this screwdriver might also fit the tightening screw on the Eclipse (and clones) side clamping honing jigs?

Ken

tooljunkie

Quote from: Ken S on February 08, 2011, 02:20:34 AM
Dan,

Do you happen to know if this screwdriver might also fit the tightening screw on the Eclipse (and clones) side clamping honing jigs?

Ken

The inside ring diameter that sits over the screw head is
.658 or 21\32 or 16.70mm

The screw from my plane is
.630 or 16mm

By looking at your Eclipse (and clones) side clamping honing jigs it may work perfectly.
But you can check with the measurements to see.

http://www.leevalley.com/en/wood/page.aspx?p=60111&cat=1,230,41182
It has a turned brass collar surrounding the tip to capture the head of a cap iron screw up to 21/32" in diameter, and a generous bubinga knob for a comfortable, secure grip

Hope this helps you.

Dan

Ken S

Thanks, Dan.  I think it will work.  The pal design certainly puts the torque axis much closer to the screw head.  I think it would be more controllable, too.  It's on my short wish list for the next time L-V has a free shipping promotion.

Ken

tooljunkie

Yes it is much more controllable than a screwdriver.

I wish they had more free shipping events.

Ken S

Steve and Dan,

Congrats on your second stars.  (I hope Jeff ordered enough stars.)

Ken

tooljunkie

Thanks
Can we trade in the stars for Tormek Accessories  ::)

Ken S

Dan,

Your good idea + Lee valley free shipping through 3-28 = new cap iron screwdriver for me.

thanks.

Ken

Steve Brown

Ken S,
Oh! My Stars. Thanks for noticing. What's next? Maybe in ten years or so we'll be up there with Jeff.
Steve

grizzz66

hi guys ,  the cap iron itself is designed to remove the screw holding the chip breaker to the blade, no special screwdrivers needed  ;)  with that said, i do really like lee valley and have been ordering from them for many years ...... i just figured i would post this so you can save your money for other lee valley stuff  ;D
what are you building today ?

tooljunkie

Got to love free shipping!
Now they need to have a points system based on money spent at leeValley to go into store credit.