News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.

www.tormek.com

Main Menu

Clean-up

Started by mGuitars, January 12, 2011, 07:30:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mGuitars

Just curious: How do you guy handle the dirty water and the sludge that builds up at the bottom of the tray?

I've always been worried about just dumping it all down the drain and have gone to great lengths to practically filter water before it goes down the drain and put the sludge in the trash.

Is there an easier way?

Jeff Farris

I scrape as much out as possible with a putty knife, then flush out the rest. I let the faucet run a little longer than normal once finished. Haven't had a problem yet.
Jeff Farris

hmarshal

Don't dump down the drain.  The sludge can harden like cement.  Put it in a old soda bottle or milk carton and give to the trash man.
Regards,
Howard

tooljunkie

I agree with not dumping it down the drain, it hardens up even under water.

Water TroughEmpty and clean the water trough regularly, otherwise
worn particles from the tool and the grindstone will form
a compact mass on the bottom of the trough. Do not put
the residue down your sink. It could congeal and cause
problems with the plumbing.
You can never have enough tools!

ionut

I agree with not dumping it down the drain. I am not very cleaning of the through oriented after each day of work, sometimes in fact most of the time the water dries out and the stone/steel combination remains there but I never experienced the cementation issue. As soon as I put water hack the mess becomes easy to clean. Earlier I used a garden hose for cleaning but even that is too far from my wood so lately I use a big plastic pail like the ones for wine making which is full of water all the time and covered which is sitting not far from the place where I sharpen. So I wash the through in that water and the stone particles are getting quickly on the bottom leaving the water clean. I think that mud that gets collected can also be used for flattening on a granite surface or any suitable surface for that, I never tried it yet but I may try it one sunny day. If not then I'll ;probably just drain it and put it in the garbage.

Ionut

tooljunkie

Good Idea about using the slurry as a lapping agent.
From what I have seen the magnet does a great job of separating the steel from the stone sediment not that it would be a big problem but will leave you with fairly clean abrasive slurry.

Would be interesting to find out how that works for you.

ionut

If I get to use that slurry for lapping I will post about it, I currently use a couple of diamond stones and a couple of water stones with excellent and fast results but if I have something to lap I will give it a try, I am also curious about that, it will be pretty messy though. I am not worried about the steel particles, as you said the magnet is doing a good job and anyways as soon as I will start using it for flattening it will get filled with new steel particles.

Ionut

tooljunkie

Sounds good.

Some pictures woud be good.

tooljunkie

I will save it as well now that we have talked about it.

It cant hurt.
And yes it will make a big mess.
It may even be good as a coarse polish.

Ken S

Whether it works or not, (it should work), the idea of using slurry as a lapping agent is clever.  Good thinking, Ionut.

Ken

Herman Trivilino

Quote from: mGuitars on January 12, 2011, 07:30:03 PM
Just curious: How do you guy handle the dirty water and the sludge that builds up at the bottom of the tray?

Scoop out the slush with a putty knife and toss it in the trash or out on the lawn.  I usually toss the dirty water out on the lawn, too. 
Origin: Big Bang

Ken S

My shop is an unheated Ohio garage which shares space with the family car.  I keep the Tormek on a shelf, so the water is always drained and the trough removed and cleaned before putting it away.  I add the water and sludge to my stone driveway.  The driveway has a variable grit of about 8, but the finer slurry has not been a problem.

Like the cliche about the Chicago voter, I tend to clean and change the water "early and often".

Ken