News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.

www.tormek.com

Main Menu

Pfeil #9/50

Started by hmarshal, January 11, 2011, 06:05:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

hmarshal

I need some help.  What is the best way to sharpen a Pfeil #9/50 heavy duty gouge?
Regards,
Howard

hmarshal

I had a thought today.  I was wondering if I could make a jig using PVC pipe.  Does anyone have any thoughts?  I need some guidance related to the essentials for a gouge jig.
Regards,
Howard

Ken S

Hi, Howard.  Welcome to the forum.

You seem to have hit the flat spot on the forum wheel.  Your two questions represent almost a fifth of the thirteen on woodcarving.  You may single handedly make this a banner year for woodcarving on this forum.

My carving chisels are quite sharp.  They were last sharpened by my grandfather during the Truman administration, so I claim no expertise.  A google search on pfeil 9/50 confirmed my thought that this was a number 9 sweep 50mm width gouge.  The Amazon photo shows it as an out cannel gouge.  Is this correct?
If so, I would think it could be sharpened like a roughing gouge using the multi jig. My thought would be to use the Tormek stone graded fine and use light pressure.  If it just needs to be "refreshed", you might even just use the leather honing wheel.

Keep us posted.

Ken

ps Leonard Lee shows some interesting small gouge honing techniques with wood and green honing compound in his excellent sharpening book.  His book and DVD should be part of a sharpener's library.

hmarshal

Ken,
This heavy duty chisel is pretty big and it does not fit in any of the jigs.  The gouge has the same diameter as 1 1/2" PVC.

I use it in place of and Adz to hollow out bowls.
Regards,
Howard

Ken S

Howard,

Two thoughts:

Would your gouge possibly fit in the multi jig if the handle was pushed through instead of going front first?

The second thought is to make a pocket similar to the Oneway jig for roughing chisels.  King Heiple has described a good homemade version. 

Ken