News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.

www.tormek.com

Main Menu

paper cutter

Started by brettgrant99, January 06, 2011, 11:01:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

brettgrant99

My wife has a big Boston Paper Cutter (I believed that they are called a guillotine stile) that is not sharp.

I breifly looked at it last night, and it looked to me that the blades were simply square.  Has anyone sharpened these?
One blade is on the swinging handle, and that other at a 90 angle on the bed.  Each one has about 4 screws holding them down.  I notieced that there apppeared to a be a curve somewhere in the process, but I don't know where.  If the handle is about halfway down, there is a gap where the two blades have already met, but where they are currently meeting, it doesn't look like there is any gap at all.  I don't know if the curve is in the blade, or in the handle.

Any help would be appreciated.  Each blade is about 24" long.

Thanks,
Brett

jeffs55

The curve is in the swinging part. It merely cuts against the straight edge that is screwed onto the base. The curve is like on a pair of scissors, one of them is curved also. At least on all the ones I have seen. The curve, when held tightly against the opposing surface aids in cutting. The blades never were really all that sharp. I think that sharper blades would help but they wont stay sharp long as the constant wear against each other is going to cause a dulling. These are my thoughts based on observation, not education so I might be wrong.
You can use less of more but you cannot make more of less.

Herman Trivilino

I know that sharpening services do offer to sharpen paper cutters.  Those things take a lot of abuse, some people try to use them to cut all kinds of things.  I've never sharpened one or had one sharpened for me.  Looking at them, I would think they're shapened like hockey skates are sharpened.  A nice true edge at 90 degrees.
Origin: Big Bang

Ken S

I think Jeff and Herman are going in the right direction.  The scissors jig is a somewhat longer and narrower version of the Torlock tool rest.  The Torlock is not expensive, and has many general purpose uses.

I would suggest removing one of the blades and doing a dry run:  holding the blade against the Torlock platform next to the stone with the machine off.  Moving the blade back and forth will either feel comfortable (well supported) or not.

In either the vertical or the horizontal position, you could also clamp small blocks of wood on either side of the wheel to keep the blade in place.  Again, I would recommend doing a dry run to get comfortable with things.

I would set the tool rest for a 90 degree cut.  Take a light cut.  You should not have to remove much.

Go slow and remember, "fortune favors the brave".  Keep us posted.

ken

brettgrant99

Thanks for the advice.  I was looking for an excuse to buy the tool rest  ;D

Brett

Ken S

Pleased to help, Brett.  It speaks well of you as a loving husband to be willing to purchase a Tormek accessory for your wife. :)  She doesn't happen to have any high speed lathe turning tools she wants you to sharpen, does she?  If so, we will help provide encouragement. 

Ken