News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

What to add to T-&

Started by Grover, December 28, 2010, 06:56:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Grover

I have been reading here for a while and now have been recognized as a member.

I am going to order a T-7 and my question is what to get with it.  I do not do woodworking at the present time.  I am looking for a quality knife sharpener, wet grinder.  Should I order the T-7 system and add a few jigs or just order the T-7 Hand Tool System?  I save a few dollsrs on the whole system, but am I buying things I will not use? 

Thanks for your input.

Grover

Ken S

Hi, Grover.

I wondered the same thing not too long ago.  I ended up just buying the standard knife jig for a starter.  In my case, the only knife I own which is doubtful with it is the eight inch slicing knife.  All the others, including the eight inch chef's knife, are easily doable with the standard jig.  (My present 1000 grit Norton stone is adequate for the odd time I might need to sharpen the little used long slicer.)

I did later buy the scissors jig.  (I have not had occasion to use it yet.)

I can't imagine (me) using the axe jig. 

At this point, buying the long knife jig would be to add it to "the compleat" collection.

For me, the kit would not have been a good investment.

You know your own needs better than I do.  My thought would be to start out with the T7 and the standard knife jig.

(Be sure to watch Jeff's knife sharpening video.)

Welcome and good luck,

Ken

Herman Trivilino

Quote from: Grover on December 28, 2010, 06:56:54 PM
I save a few dollsrs on the whole system, but am I buying things I will not use? 

ou don't know what you'll end up using once you get started.  I remember when I first got my Tormek.  After sharpening every knife, chisel, and plane iron in sight, I started looking for other stuff that had an edge I could grind.  It became something of an obsession, but I'm better now.   ;)
Origin: Big Bang

ionut

Hi Grover,

I personally hate getting tools that will end collecting dust, and I also don;t have much space for collecting things for the sake of looking at them or dreaming of what I would use them at. It happened though because probably my brain was in a blackout stage but luckily only a few times. As far as it goes for Tormek I got the jigs that I needed as I needed them, regardless how much I would have saved with an entire kit, but that's my way. I don't think you save much by getting an entire kit and ending by just using one jig. All the jigs come separately so you can get them as you need. I have just limited experience with axes, I sharpened two of them and did it free hand with great results for how much of an axe sharpener I am.
Be careful though, as Herman said you may end searching for things to sharpen whether they need or not to be sharpened and after that enjoy the way they cut until it is time to sharpen them again :).

Ionut

Ken S

Hi, Grover.

I did a quick run through of the prices.  If you buy the hand tool kit (separately from the T7), you would essentially get the axe jig for free as compared with buying all the jigs separately.  If you order the hand tool kit at the same time as the T7, you can save about $15 more.

IF you use all these jigs, it is a bit of a saving.  If not, you have some very nice collectibles to fill your shelves.

I think the Tormek is a fine sharpening machine. The accessories certainly make it very versatile.  I do not think the package pricing is really such a hot bargain.

I agree with Ionut about being able to do an acceptable job freehand for the very occasional axe.  If, by chance, you had more than occasional axes to sharpen, I would get the jig.  If not, slowly and carefully handheld would get you through adequately.

Ken