News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.

www.tormek.com

Main Menu

Sharpening Knives

Started by Captain Ron, January 31, 2005, 01:36:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Captain Ron

I was thinking of getting a Tromak and was wondering just how sharp you get knives using the tormak? Can you shave arm hair with it? After you get done. Thanks for any help.

Jeff Farris

Yes, a knife properly sharpened on a TORMEK is razor sharp.  In demonstrations around the country I split a piece of paper in half -- not cut a piece of paper, split it, in half.  
Jeff Farris

Byron

captain Ron,  I just sharpened my first knife - old and in very bad shape - and it cuts like a razor.  I sliced paper just like Jeff shows in his video.  You won't disappointed.

sominus

There was a thermonuclear incident the other day when my Tormek-sharpened knife split a stray atom in the air as I wielded the blade over a hunk of beef.  Cooked the meat instantly AND sliced it paper-thin.

Just kidding (obviously), but the Tormek can get your knives to the ridiculously sharp stage VERY quickly.  A friend of mine asked me to sharpen his pocket knife.  He thought he'd be cute and run his thumb along it lengthwise to test it.  He bled all over his chemistry book without even feeling the cut.  Yes, it'll get THAT sharp without even trying.

-Michael

The Fat Chef

As a professional chef at a major culinary school, the other chefs now come to me to sharpen their knives, including the butchery instructor. Every one of the chefs had said that no one could do a better job then they could do themselves (Chef's are known for having big egos) ;). In over thirty years of being in the business, these are the sharpest my knives have ever been with the exception of an old Italian who I am sorry to say is no longer with us. I tried many different systems and people who sharpen knives since the old Italian has passed away; none have come close to the Tormek.

By the way, if you don't have a Tormek I recommend buying from Jeff

The Fat Chef
(never trust a skinny chef)