News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

Is it the machine or is it me...

Started by ionut, October 14, 2010, 06:43:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ionut

Very late last night I just wanted to put a nice edge on two chisels, to have them ready for today, a 1/2 Hirsch on 20 degrees and a 3/4" Japanese chisel on 30. I don't count anymore how much it takes, it's fast, so in few minutes I had both chisels helping me count the threads of my fur face in their perfect shine. As usual I test the edges after I finish sharpening even though I don't know anymore why, and because I lost all my arms hair due to this sharpening disease, I took a small piece of alder I use for clamping, about 1/2" thick 2 wide and probably 4 long, clamp it and start slicing the end grain. Up to this point everything seemed to be ok, but after feeling the steel edge getting in the wood and leaving a fine shiny finish I couldn't stop, I sliced that end grain in every imaginable way and after about two inches of slicing I was like possessed luckily I didn't start screaming, I would have ended arrested. I stopped after another half inch because I've reached to the bench top. I had to kick my own arse out of the shop...
Is the Tormek insured for liability?

Ionut,

PS - today both chisels performed flawlessly...

Robbo

"We do good turns every day"

ionut

I know... sometimes after sharpening I forget about all the woodworking  and I just feel an urge to slice wood. This pattern looks more like a disease, a sharpening disease... :)

Ken S

I started using Ron Hock's suggestion of testing an edge with a plastic pen.  It works like using your thumb nail.  If the blade catches, it is sharp.  If it slides, it's back to the sharpening equipment.

Young children note my resemblance to Santa Claus.  If my white beard had sharpener's disease blotches, it might frighten the young ones.

Happy holidays to all.

Ken