News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

Cleaver Sharpening

Started by ghjacobson, November 29, 2004, 06:51:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ghjacobson

I am considering purchasing the 2006 w/handyman's package.  Has anyone used the Tormek to sharpen cleavers; both a chinese style cleaver as well as what is known as a french cleaver? The latter has a continuous curve across almost 90 degrees from tip of cleaver to the bottom edge.  Would the knife jig work even though this type of cleaver is almost 5 inches wide from cutting edge to top of blade? Thanks

The Fat Chef

Yes I have used the Tormek to sharpen Chinese style cleavers but not the French cleaver. No problem getting the hang of it. I was able eo master Simatars from 6 inches to 12 inches. Took a little learning on gettin the curved point (somewaht like but smaller then the French cleaver) but I got it down.

I used the knife jig most of the way, I did the points free hand and it is difficult to see were I stopped using the jig.

When I was done, I was thinking to myself that I would  ;) challange Jeff to a contest (sic) or at least help him demonstrate at ;D his next show in Northern California.

The Fat CHef
(never trust a skinny chef)
The Fat Chef
(never trust a skinny chef)