News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

Universal Support not tall enough?

Started by robincbailey, June 08, 2010, 03:34:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GeoTech

I noticed that the taller universal support bar isn't threaded for micro adjustments.

Elden

The knife jig has an adjustment built into it. There are some here that have threaded their older non-threaded standard universal support bars.That could be done to the extended bar if one feels it is a necessity.
Elden

Ken S

The threaded microadjustment on the universal support is essential when using the TT-50 Truing Tool to true and dress the grinding wheel. However, for most other sharpening operations, I rarely use it. I use the setting holes in the TTS-100 to set the Distance between the support and the grinding wheel with chisels, plane blades, and turning tools. I use the kenjig to set the Distance with knives. I have standardized my Distance and Protrusion settings. I don't need to microadjust what doesn't change.

For those who do not have the TTS-100, all of these Distance settings could be done with kenjigs used as gage blocks. These are easily made up and are faster to set up than using the Anglemaster or black marker.

With the exception of truing the wheel, the taller support bar could be used all the time. In actual practice, most of the time I use the standard issue support. I find the smaller size more convenient. Not essential, just convenient. For sharpening my Chinese cleaver, the taller support is essential when using a knife jig, my preferred method. If I did not have the taller support, I would use my homemade Herman's small knife platform, another essential tool. I have also found the taller jig more efficient when reshaping turning tools on the Tormek using a dry CBN wheel.

The threaded microadjust is a major step forward for the Tormek. I would not be without it with the standard support for truing. With the taller support I have not found it necessary.

Ken

Herman Trivilino

I threaded the shaft of my universal support rod and fashioned a home-made micro-adjust by cementing a nut into a juice bottle cap.

I use the micro-adjust feature for just about every sharpening task I perform on the Tormek. I also fashioned a platform that I attach to the base of the scissors jig and use that for all of my knife sharpening. I can do large cleavers and machetes, small pen knives, and everything in between. It also has the advantage of being able to sharpen an unlimited number of knives to the same bevel angle with no adjustments or need to reconfigure jigs in between.

This works only when grinding towards the edge. It won't work for those who like to grind away from the edge.
Origin: Big Bang

RichColvin

OK, Hermann.  That sound cool what you've done with the scissors jig.  Pictures please !!

Rich
---------------------------
Rich Colvin
www.SharpeningHandbook.info - a reference guide for sharpening

You are born weak & frail, and you die weak & frail.  What you do between those is up to you.