News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

T-3 v. Bench Stones

Started by PLECBJO, May 26, 2010, 05:34:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PLECBJO

I am thinking of buying my first Tormek grindstone, the T-3 model. Up untill now I have used up to 4000 grit Japanese Bench Waterstones, moderate sucesss, not brillient.
Questions: a) By using the T-3 would that be an improvement on the bench stones?
                 b) Would I get better results, after using the T-3, to finish off using the finer grit Japanese waterstones?
                 c) Is it a good idea to buy a second hand Tormek machine?--'wear & tear', especially with the grindstone? ('Penny wise--pound foolish'.)

Your expertise grately appreciated.
Thank You.

Herman Trivilino

Well, if you've had only moderate success with bench stones, then the Tormek may suit you.  I have the equivalent of the T-7 and don't have any experience with the T-3.  I bought mine several years ago and it's a big improvement over bench stones.

The Tormek claims to have a 1000 grit stone when properly graded.  Using the jig, you get a smooth bevel because the angle stays constant.  Using a bench stone takes more skill to keep the angle constant.  But, if you could pull this off, theoretically, you'd get a smoother bevel with the 4000 grit water stone.  I doubt it'd make a difference on any of the knives I use, though.

A used machine can be a good cost-saver.  Check the grind stone diameter to see how much wear it has.  When my machine got old it was in need of a new grind stone and a new main shaft.  These machines are made well and can be repaired quite easily.  I would buy a used machine if it appeared to be well cared for and was available at a good price.  Things I'd look for, in addition to the amount of wear on the grind stone, would be a good-running motor, and a main shaft that's not bent or rusty.

You can read about my repair adventures by following this thread:  Rusty Main Shaft http://forum.tormek.com/index.php?topic=929.0
Origin: Big Bang

PLECBJO

Hi Herman
Thanks for your info--and an interesting thread: 'Rusty Main Shaft'

Mike