News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

Cabinet Scrapers

Started by Chris Maxwell, November 05, 2004, 11:06:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chris Maxwell

I have recently used my Tormek to grind a 45degree bevel on 5 of my 2" by 6" cabinet scraper blades. (veritas) I find that it's easier to put a burr on their edge after doing so.

Has anybody else tried this?

I also have used my Tormek to recondition a very pitted burnishing rod.  It looks like new.  I just mounted the Torlok jig close to the stone, the angle is unimportant.  I then put the burnishing rod across the Torlok jig (parallel to the universal mounting bar).  With the stone graded to coarse, I ran the rod back and forth as I rolled it over and over.  Once all the pits were removed, I repeated the process with the stone graded to fine; then repeated the process on the honing wheel.  About 20 minutes saved me the 20 bucks I would have needed to spend on a new burnishing rod.

I shared mine...

Any other cabinet scraper tricks that can be pulled on the Tormek?

Jeff Farris

Thanks, Chris!  As shown in the handbook, the side of the grindstone can be used to square the edge of cabinet scrapers, using the SVD-110.  
Jeff Farris

Mark Spaulding

Hi,

My cab scraper has a blade that is 2 3/4" wide. How do I grind a 45 degree bevel on so wide a blade? The chisel and plane iron jig will not hold it. I would appreciate any help.

Thanks.
--Mark

PS BTW, I really like the software interface in this discussion group.

Jeff Farris

Set the SVD-110 at a 45 degree angle to the stone and hold the scraper flat against it.

Thanks for the comment on the forum software.  I am involved in several forums and find YABB to be the most comfortable.
Jeff Farris

Mark Spaulding

Thanks Jeff,

I was guessing the 110 was the correct jig. I tired that and had OK results, but in the opposite orientation of the draw knife shown on the site here. Will the opposite orientation a  try.

Thanks.
Blessings,
--Mark